Chapter 8

"The president is about to make his address!" Moira shouted to Charles and Erik out the window. We were all sat on the brown leather sofas looking at the small black and white tv.

"It shall be the policy of this nation to regard any nuclear missile crossing the embargo line that surrounds Cuba as an attack by the Soviet Union on the United States requiring a full retaliatory response upon the Soviet Union..." Kennedy announced.

"That's where we're going to find Shaw," Erik said.

"How do you know?" Charles asked.

"Two superpowers facing off and he wants to start World War III. He won't leave anything to chance. So much for diplomacy. I suggest you all get a good night's sleep," Erik turned to us.

-----

Alex and I went to his room. He was sat at the top of the bed, reading a book, whereas I sat lower down, laying on my stomach.

"What do you think's going to happen tomorrow. When we fight Shaw," I asked.

"We'll win and Shaw will be taken to justice. Then we'll go back to where we were. Me in prison and you back home," he said. It slightly angered me that he was treating it as if it was nothing.

"I don't want you to go back to prison. And I don't want to go back to the orphanage."

This caused him to look up. I could see the sympathy in his eyes as he gestured for me to come to him. I crawled up and layed next to him, my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me.

"You know, there's a chance that you won't have to," he whispered to me.

"What do you mean?" I asked softly.

"Well we could try and find someone to foster you," he suggested.

"Oh yeah cause it's so easy," I said sarcastically.

"You never know. Someone could want to."

"What about your juvie situation?" I tried to change the subject. I loved him but I didn't like getting told false hopes.

"There's not long left of my sentence. And we'll be 18 soon we can go anywhere in the world."

"You act like it's so easy."

"We're good at figuring it out as we go."

"Yeah, we are. We should probably get some sleep, we'll need it," I started to get up but Alex pulled me back down. I looked at him in confusion.

"Stay with me. Please," he looked at me pleadingly.

"Aw. Is big, strong Alex scared," I teased.

"No. I just don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. I want to make the most of moments like these," he said, sadness evident in his voice.

"Okay, I'll stay," I went into the bathroom which was attached and got changed into one of Alex's shirts. I went back into the bedroom and got under the covers. Once again laying my head on his chest. He wrapped his arm around my small frame.

I soon fell asleep, drawing patterns on his chest as the rhythm of his heartbeat made me feel calm.

A/N sorry for not updating. My life has been crazy and I lost the transcript.