Kidnapped Pt 2 Chapter 4

Alex POV

"I have the flyers ready," I whisper. I walk into the kitchen where Jess, her boyfriend, Leslie, her husband and two officers stand, circling the dining table. I hand each of them a stack and then grab my car keys ready to head out.

"Okay," Jess sighs, "we know where to go and everything correct? I will go and talk to the reporter."

I blink back the tears that have been surfacing all day and nod. I head out to my car and rest my head on the steering wheel.

My poor baby sister.  I can't believe this is happening. I'm just in utter and complete shock. How can this be happening to us? To Mary? I drive into the city and park in a garage. I grab my flyers and head out into the streets.

"Excuse me, have you seen this girl? She's missing," I say as I hand a lady a flyer. She glances at the flyer and then shakes her head. She hardly looked!

"Please keep the flyer, please," i beg. She takes the flyer and stuffs it in her purse and walks away. I bite my lip to keep from crying. It'll probably end up in the next trash bin she comes across. I wander the streets handing people flyers, begging them to please look and call the police if they see her or have seen her. My eyes are cloudy with the tears that are so desperately trying to escape.

I'm running out of flyers. I see a trash can up ahead and I quickly walk up to it, pushing my bag aside. I gag and heave into the trash can. Nothing comes out. The nervousness and anxiety have me so nauseous I can't eat. My stomach feels like it's in knots. I constantly feel the need to vomit but I can't. I know the only relief will be seeing Mary.  I wipe my tears and mouth and look up to people staring at me. I stare back and then abruptly turn around to walk back to my car.

As I do, I'm met with a wall. Or at least, that's what it feels like. I gasp and drop my flyers, my hands flying up to my face.  I take a step back and bend down to start picking the papers, completely humiliated. As I do, i notice the pair of shoes right in front of me. Dark brown activewear running shoes. Men's shoes. Confused, I look up and my heart stops. I swear my heart stopped. It did not beat. My body was taken over by a warm sensation like when you're late for work and you see the bus or train pulling away. Your heart dropping to your stomach. Your stomach sinking.

My knees feel so weak, I'm not sure how I managed to stand up. Leaving the flyers all over the floor. My eyes never leave his face, as I start to back away and walk around him.

"Alex? Alex...Alex  wait!" I'm half way down the street already, hearing his yells after me. "Alex!" His voice sounds near. I look behind me and sure enough he's following me. My heart begins to beat fast now as I maneuver around the crowd of people trying to blend in. I'm almost at the entrance to the garage doors when a hand lands roughly on my shoulder and whirls me around.

"Alex, please wait," he begs.

"Stop. Get away, go away!" I yell. I'm looking everywhere but at him. I can't look at him. Not right now. Not with Mary missing. I turn to grab the doors and he grabs my arm. Im breathing so fast now, my head is spinning.

Memories. Nightmares. Trauma.

It's difficult to breathe.

Everything is spinning.

I hear muffled voices. I think I hear my name. Female voice. Then a male.

"Call 911"

"She needs air! Give her space!"

"Someone get her some water!"

"Alex? Alex look at me. It's me."

I find the voice and connect my eyes with his.