Prologue

Life wasn't the same after Ayush's mother left. He had to do almost everything on his own like here he is laying in the hospital bed with an annoying thought in the back of his mind that, there's no one outside his hospital room waiting for him to recover soon.

Only four days back, while over speeding the bike in an attempt to overtake a car, he met with a dreadful accident and broke his left leg and left elbow. Thankfully the helmet saved him from any severe head injuries. The doctor has already affixed his plates to join his broken bones immediately in hours he was admitted. Perks of having a rich father.

Ayush was sobbing silently, unable to wipe off his own tears because of the immense pain he felt in his body especially in the shoulders after every slightest movement. The tears forming in his puffy reddened eyes weren't for the pain he himself felt but Robb. He was ridding with 'Rob' that night, who was dead.

The doctors had strictly warned his father to not inform Ayush about Robb's death. But, Mr. Oberoi being Mr. Oberoi, who was least bothered about his thirteen years old terribly injured son simply drop the heart wrenching news as soon as he gets a call from his servant informing him about burring Robb in their backyard.

Robb,13, a black Labrador retriever. Robb the dog was one of the few things Ayush ever cared about. They grew up together more like siblings, shared everything from bread to bed. Robb had this unique way of showing his love and affection to Ayush like, he wouldn't accept food from anyone but him . And, Ayush used to take Robb to his school daily, the school being listed as one of India's top five schools had all the facilities as equal to a seven star luxury hotel. They had a separate yard for pets and a separate staff to look after them, while their masters learn a few things. Robb was quite famous in Ayush's school and used to get adored by almost everyone even from children who feared dogs, from at a distance though. Ayush believed Robb understood his hate for his father, his wife and her stupid son, who initially believed Robb could speak human tongue.

Grieving, Ayush wished if anyone had to die that day it should have been him or his father who had nothing to do with the accident but who cares? If only there was a way he could trade his father's life in return of Robb.

He pressed the button which was affixed handy and ring a bell. Within a second a nurse comes in with a magazine in her hand, which she was reading outside the room, perhaps.

'Do you need anything?' She kindly asked.

He stared at her for a moment and wished he had guts to ask for a male helper. Not that nurse Shalini wasn't taking good care of him, but he felt she was too good to handle his mood swing tantrums and too kind to leave him on his own. Though it was her job, he felt connected and protected towards her motherly nature.

For once, he wished she could adopt him. But then he quickly shook away the very thought; "The routine thought". Every time he's around loving and caring parents or adults the thought would strike his naive mind.

'Just a glass of water,' he said.

She kept the magazine aside on the side table, pour water in a glass and helped him to empty it without him asking. Later, she made sure he sat up on the bed at a comfortable position.

'Thank you,' he said, keeping it short and sweet.

She smiles, 'Your face is healing quickly.'

He nodded.

'Don't you get bored here? I mean, I can read you a few memes,' she said, enthusiastically. One of the many reasons why Ayush liked her, she's just perfect.

He chuckles at the very thought, 'You gave a offer I can't refuse, hell yes,' he said, his voice excited yet low.

Shalini pulled out a chair for herself and sat on it near his bed. She then log in to her facelook account on her phone and after a quick search, she read him out a few memes that makes him go ROFL.

The happiness of being away from home lasted until that evening. The doctor, who has the most complicated name had announced him fit to go home.

By night, Ayush found himself trapped in his room for the first time without Robb. His father never really understood his attachment with Robb. He was not fond of animals. Robb was more like a forceful gift, he had to keep all these years. He was least bothered by his absence that's because he hardly used to be at home. Businessman's life they say. His children had stopped giving a damn and had accepted to live without their father. Whereas, Mrs Oberoi had joined the family company last year as a professional financial advisor just to be around her husband a little.

To Ayush home felt like a luxury jail. He was never able to match with the vibes around after his mother had left home years back. The principal's cabin seemed more welcoming to him. The place they called home only helped him remember everything that he wanted to forget. The fights, screams, the lawyer's long face, his malicious smile and what not. He remembered the day, when he discovered about his father's affair and his mother's boyfriend. Somewhere while growing up reading stories about the king and the queen, he had accepted the fact that his parents weren't made for each other. In fact, he believed the word soulmates is just a myth and happily ever after only existed in books and movies. He wasn't hard on himself but found himself hard to love, at times he had blame himself for his parents not being together anymore.

Ayush hadn't turned all cold towards his father over night, there were times when he felt like giving his father a tight hug and tell him not to worry. And, there were times when he felt like punching his father right in the face when he couldn't even show some basic love and care to him and his step-brother Rony.

Rony is everything Ayush despises and yet a part of him always cared about his little brother. Ayush was only eleven, when he first met Rony. It was his birthday and for the first time in forever his father took him out to an amusement park. Mr. Oberoi there introduced him to a little boy, eight, named Rony as his business partner's son. Ayush and Rony tuned in quickly and had all the fun in the world while his father was mostly busy attending calls but who cared? His presence itself was enough and was all he ever craved for.

Everything was perfect, dreamlike, until a lady showed up. She and his father had an argument. While they were talking Ayush and Rony were asked to stay by the car were they couldn't listen their conversation. Rony told Ayush his best friend that day that, the woman his father was arguing with is his mother. Ayush could only sigh disappointed, why can't his father stop picking up fights with random people for once. Ayush had swiftly calmed Rony down who seemed crying like, by telling him that his father love to argue and if he don't argue for two hours straight he loses hair, so he argues with every person he make eye contact with.

The boys parted with a promise to meet again. And within the next few days Ayush discovers about his father's secret family. Rony was never told about who his father was until the day Mr. Oberoi divorced his first wife.

Memories hurt a little harder when you had just lost a dog. Ayush swiftly slipped out of the covers and tried to stand on his feet. He struggled and mourned in pain silently but before his feet made it to the floor, he heard footsteps.

Sadhna his step mother had decided to check on him. He quickly lay on the bed and pretended to be fast asleep. 'The evil lady' he called her, Ayush never accepted her as family, he had his reasons. Despite of living under the same roof these two had hardly known each other. She paddles near his bed, quietly, and placed the back of her hand on his forehead to check his body temperature.

He wondered, still pretending.

She spread the covers on him half way up and quietly left keeping the door halfway closed. His eyes flew up, quickly. He wondered and suspected. So now she cared about him? Sounds funny, then what he told himself.

His father hugs and kisses him and his brother when he's drunk so must be the case with her. She must be drunk.