CHAPTER SEVENTY FIVE

Start from the beginning

"Yes, she's giving a demonstration in the ICU right now. Should be done in a few." The nurse nods, then looks up at the two after she finished writing their names. "I'll let her know you stopped by."

Kai smiles proudly. "Appreciate it." He gently taps the counter, before leaning up and off it.

Daisy follows him as he turns the around the corner towards the exit. They stare at the glass doors for a few seconds before turning and facing each other. "ICU?" Kai asks.

"ICU." Daisy nods.

At the same time, Kai and Daisy turned back around and ducked down before they made their way around the corner. They practically crawled their way past the nurses station, trying to avoid being seen by them as they made their way out to the other hallway.

When they made it out the other side, and out of the view of the nurse they just spoke to, Kai gently grabbed Daisy's wrist and muttered a quick spell.

"What are you doing?" Daisy whispers, as she stood back up, looking around the halls.

"Cloaking spell." Kai says, after letting go of her wrist.

She narrowed her eyebrows at him. "Could you maybe have done that two seconds ago before we crawled across the floor to avoid being seen?"

Kai thinks for a few seconds, before eventually nodding in agreement. "Whoops." He says, he opens his mouth to speak but stops when something over Daisy's shoulder catches his attention.

Daisy follows his gaze, turning around and seeing a group of students in matching maroon scrubs, head down the hallway in a pack- a woman with pale skin, dark hair, and icy blue eyes leading them.

Kai grabs Daisy and pulls them out of the way of their walking path- as she was frozen in place. Daisy stumbles backwards at Kai's force, but doesn't take her eyes off of her as she walks by.

It felt like only yesterday she was getting rides from this girl and her brother before school, or studying together afterwards, or going to football games with her- or festivals, or parties, or sleepovers, or school dances.

Though her eyes looked as youthful and bright has ever, she's aged- grown into her face, and let her natural black hair overgrow the hazel brown she had it dyed in high school. There was a strong sense of familiarity to her despite the fact that she looked so different- Daisy held back the urge to approach the woman and start talking to her about what she's been up to.

Kai had a similar look of disbelief and amusement on his face, although he looked more angry than shocked. He barely moved as she walked by, though his wide, fiery eyes followed her trail.

As Josette fell out of view after turning the corner into a new hallway, they both let out breaths they hadn't realized they were holding. Daisy turned to Kai, almost feeling the anger radiate off him. His back was still turned to Daisy, as his eyes lingered at the end of the hallway where Josette just walked.

Daisy stepped forward, gently nudging his hand with her fingers to remind him of her presence. He grabbed onto her hands, though he had yet to turn to face her.

She opened her mouth to ask if he was okay, but he spoke before she could. "She doesn't have magic." He says.

Daish narrows her eyebrows. "What?" She asks.