Chapter 22

"Mr. Gravedigger, it's a pleasure to meet you." Tobias said as Joey showed Gravedigger into his office.

"Tobias Whale, your reputation precedes you." Gravedigger said as he held out his hand to Tobias, who shook it.

"As does yours. I never thought I'd meet a man older than me who actually looks younger. What's your secret?" Tobias asked and Gravedigger chuckled.

"I see you did your homework on me." Gravedigger said.

"Just like I'm sure you did yours on me. After all, it's smart to know who I'm potentially getting in business with." Tobias said.

"On that we agree and I have to admit, if there wasn't proof you were born in America, you could've been a Markovian. After all, you definitely have the hatred of the American government down." Gravedigger said.

"We may not have had the same life experiences, but we both know how this country feels about people who don't descend from it's founding fathers." Tobias said.

"Very true. But for now, let's talk business. It sounds like we could help each other." Gravedigger said.

"We both want those metas, but we can't both have them all. I see a problem." Tobias said.

"Once we locate said metas, we'll split the count in half. After all, no one gets everything they want in life. Not even you." Gravedigger said.

"I'll agree with that if you help me secure a seat on the Shadow Board." Tobias said.

"I'm surprised that even still exists. I heard that you had people taking out all it's members." Gravedigger said.

"Not all of them. Just enough to convince the remaining members that severing ties with me would a stupid ass decision." Tobias said.

"Agreed. As long as you agree to help my people integrate into life here in Freeland. I know you control all the criminal enterprises here in Freeland, have them help us." Gravedigger said.

"Done. And I think that you can help me rid myself of a very annoying problem." Tobias said.

"And what would that be?" Gravedigger asked.

"The only person who not only threatens my claim to the throne of Freeland, but your operation here. That neon negro Black Lightning. Only reason I rested easy is because I thought I killed him. But now that I know he's alive, I'm gonna get him before he gets me." Tobias said.

"Something like that will take time, but can I offer a suggestion." Gravedigger said.

"What?" Tobias asked.

"From what I hear, killing Black Lightning would not end well, since the people of Freeland revere him as their hero. You want them to acknowledge you and not hate you for killing him, you need to change that. Make the people hate him as much as you do." Gravedigger said.

"Not a bad idea." Tobias said, though he knew that would be one tall order.

"We can help you with that." Gravedigger said.

"So what's in it for you? You don't offer something like that unless you expect something in return. At least if you're smart, which I understand you are." Tobias said.

"I was getting to that. You get Freeland and we get everything else." Gravedigger said.

"And by everything else you mean?" Tobias said.

"This country disgusts me. It was built on the principles of freedom from oppression, and yet everyday, it just gets worse. You should understand albino." Gravedigger said.

"True. Prejudice is a constant problem and it's not getting any better, if anything, it's getting worse, especially for this community. But let me see if I get this straight, you want to burn this country down and kill everyone in it?" Tobias asked.

"Not everyone. Just enough to make a statement. And then Markovia will rebuild it from the ground up." Gravedigger said.

"Interesting. But you do realize that's going to be near impossible. Considering the fact that while Markovia's military might be good, it's still basically a kid compared to the US military, not to mention all the caped and masked vigilantes we got running around here." Tobias said.

"Which is why I need an ally who knows how things work in America now. Someone who can get me information that I can use to neutralize those advantages." Gravedigger said.

"I think that can be arranged. So, do we have a deal?" Tobias asked as he held out his hand.

"We have a deal." Gravedigger said as he shook it.

"So, you really planning on honoring that deal with him?" Joey asked Tobias.

"Of course not. Only an idiot would. I'm no fool. That bastard would double cross me as soon as he realizes I'm no longer useful to him. Which is why I'm planning on making it look like I'm helping him, but in reality, I'm using him." Tobias said.

"To do what?" Joey asked.

"Consolidate my power. His money and resources will do a lot to aid in the construction of my empire. Not to mention every bit of intel I get for him goes to me too. He thinks I'm helping him, but in reality, the only person I'm helping is myself." Tobias said.

"And when he's no longer useful, assuming he hasn't caught on to what you're doing before that happens?" Joey asked.

"That's when I rat him out to the government, let them focus all their efforts on him and his people to the point where they forget about us." Tobias said.

"Allowing you to take the throne of Freeland and more." Joey said.

"See, now you're getting it. This partnership, if you can call it that, is going to speed up my plans by a lot and allow me to take my rightful place a lot sooner than I thought I'd be able to." Tobias said.

"What about Black Lightning?" Joey said.

"We'll give him toys to play with to keep him busy and off our tracks. While turning the public against Black Lightning is a nice thought, it would be counter productive, since I can't kill him if he's locked up and have the public's eyes on me." Tobias said.

"But aren't you going to have them on you eventually? Since if you want to rule, don't you need the people to love you? Or at least support you?" Joey asked.

"Another reason to keep him on the board and why I'm letting that markovian nimrod on my turf. Those two fighting will cause a lot of damage in Freeland. And after the dust clears, the people will be desperate to have someone save them. And not the Black Lightning would." Tobias said.

"You're gonna let them destroy this city so that you can rebuild it." Joey said.

"Got it one. See, if there's one thing people love, it's when someone gives them lots of money and makes their problems go away. So, we help our Markovian 'friend' fight Black Lightning and pave the way for my glorious return to Freeland." Tobias said.

"I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating. You are brilliant." Joey said.

"Tell me something I don't know. Now, head to South Freeland, I hear there's something valuable out there I could use to my advantage." Tobias said.

"Right away boss." Joey said as he left Tobias's office.

"Now we let the dominoes fall." Tobias said with a grin as he looked out the window of his office and at his view of Freeland. The city that he believed would one day be his.