Chapter 7

"I have to admit, I thought it would be a lot harder to convince you to give me my job back." Gambi said to Odell as they walked through the Pit.

"And normally it would be, but I am well aware that you are no doubt in possession of knowledge that could be, shall we say, highly damaging to several people and I'd like to be able to keep a closer eye on you. Plus, I'd be a fool to allow your skills, which I'm guessing you've kept sharp, up to date when you're offering them so willingly. However, I would like to know why you decided to rejoin us. I thought that you didn't approve of our methods." Odell said.

"And I don't, but I can't deny that I did miss the thrills that this job could bring and I made more here than I have from being a tailor." Gambi said, lying through his teeth, though he hoped that Odell would buy it.

"We'll see about that. However, your timing is rather fortunate, since there is an issue that we've come across and you're probably the best person to fix it." Odell said.

"What is it?" Gambi asked.

"We recently lost control of one of our assets, who went rogue. There's no one better at finding people covertly than you, since I'd prefer not to draw attention to anyone else." Odell said and Gambi nodded.

"Can you give me the information about who I'm looking for?" Gambi asked and Odell nodded.

"It's been sent to your new tablet, which Major Grey will provide you with." Odell said and Gambi nodded as he was shown to his new workspace.

"So, you really believe a word the Tailor says?" Grey asked Odell when she entered his office.

"Of course not. But, Peter Esposito is an asset that I'd rather keep a close eye on. He could be our key to finding and identifying one of the biggest risks to our organization." Odell said.

"Black Lightning." Grey said and Odell nodded.

"He's been missing for years, but that doesn't change the fact that until we have confirmation of his death, since I refuse to believe that Tobias Whale really killed him, he is still a risk to our entire organization. A risk that needs to be removed. The Tailor is our best chance to accomplish that." Odell said.

"Yes sir." Grey said in agreement.

"And they have no idea that you reversed their spy hack on you so that we could spy on them?" Jefferson asked Gambi as they spoke over the phone.

"Yep. It sounds like the ASA didn't buy my story, not that I expected them too, but it doesn't matter because I'm in. And Odell may play his games, but he doesn't know that I already know all his moves. And it turns out that this is a mutually beneficial situation for both us and the ASA." Gambi said.

"Wait, you're sure that they can't hear us?" Jefferson asked.

"Don't worry, I've got the whole system fooled. They seem to be forgetting that I helped build it in the first place." Gambi said.

"Okay, just making sure, since we don't want to be overheard. So, what's going on?" Jefferson asked.

"We were right, the ASA did turn Khalil into a weapon again. Only difference is that this time around, they've lost control of him. He's gone rogue and they've tasked me with finding him." Gambi said.

"Well, Jen will be kind of relieved to hear that. But anyways, we could use our gear and with the resources of the ASA." Jefferson said.

"I'm already working on it. We'll meet up at the Sanctum later to go over all the data." Gambi said.

"Got it. Good luck and stay safe." Jefferson said.

"You too." Gambi said as he hung up.

Gambi was surprised when he returned to the Sanctum that night to find Anissa waiting for him.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at work?" Gambi asked.

"Mom let me go early since she could tell that my head was not in the game." Anissa said.

"Okay, so why are you here?" Gambi asked her.

"Because, I know what you can do with tech, so I was wondering if maybe there was a way that you could use it to make me a suit that could recreate my powers." Anissa said, surprising Gambi.

"Maybe." Gambi said.

"Why wouldn't you? If we're fighting Tobias Whale and the ASA and the Markovians then we need as many assets as we can get. If I can't have my powers naturally, then recreating them with tech is the next best thing." Anissa said, not seeing the problem.

"Except I wouldn't be able to recreate all your powers. Particularly your healing powers. And even if I could, I'd need to use ASA resources to do it, which would give them the ability to recreate it for their soldiers. Something we're trying to avoid from happening. And honestly, I agree with your parents. You got out of control with your powers as Blackbird and honestly, I think you've become addicted to them. The fact that you want to go to these lengths to get out in the field proves it. I think you need to take a break and detox." Gambi said.

"Freeland needs me." Anissa said.

"Maybe. But Freeland already has Black Lightning and Lightning to protect it now. We will find out what happened to your powers Anissa, I promise. But it's just going to take some time, so be patient." Gambi said.

"We don't have time." Anissa said.

"You do. Anissa, I understood why you did what you did as Blackbird at the time because you had no other options. But now, you're not the only one protecting this city anymore and we're not at war. And if we do our jobs right, we never will be." Gambi said as Anissa huffed in frustration before storming out.

Gambi sighed as he texted Jefferson and Lynn to keep an eye on Anissa.