Chapter 5

Jennifer was currently sitting out on the roof of her father's house when she heard the window open and her father climb out onto the ledge with her.

"You mind if I join you?" Jefferson asked.

"Honestly, you're the only member of our family I wouldn't blast right now, since you're the only person I can understand not telling about Khalil, since honestly, you just didn't have time too. But I'm betting that even if you had, you wouldn't have told me." Jen said.

"Maybe, but Jen, I know you think it was overprotective, but I know you and I know that your response to the news would've gotten you killed, since knowing you, you likely would've charged into the ASA, where you would've had your powers dampened and been swarmed by commandos. Assuming Odell didn't pull whatever kill switch he no doubt had put into the suit he gave you." Jefferson said.

"Fair enough. But still, I had a right to know. Dad, you know how hard I took Khalil's death the first time around." Jen said.

"I know, but we didn't want to risk your life with you going after him and he wouldn't have wanted it either." Jefferson said.

"Maybe, but please, let me stay mad a little longer. I want to see if I can use it to guilt mom and Anissa a little while longer." Jen said and Jefferson chuckled.

"I can live with that, but remember it ultimately doesn't matter anymore, because Khalil hasn't even been shot yet. He's still a normal kid." Jefferson said.

"Yeah, but I'm not. And I never will be." Jen said.

"Your mother and I made it work." Jefferson said.

"You got divorced." Jen reminded him.

"Because she was too concerned for my safety. We disagreed about whether or not I should be Black Lightning, but as we all know now, I was wrong to listen to her. Freeland needs Black Lightning. Now more than ever and this time, I'm not going anywhere. Not with the threats of Tobias, the ASA and Markovia coming our way." Jefferson said.

"Freeland needs Black Lightning. Let's just hope that Uncle Gambi is able to finish your suit soon." Jen said.

"Actually, that's another reason I'm here. To bring you up to speed on what we discussed after you left." Jefferson said.

"And what did you guys talk about?" Jen asked.

"A potential plan to take down the ASA from the inside." Jefferson said.

"How?" Jen asked.

"By having Gambi rejoin them." Jefferson said.

"Why would you have him do that?" Jen asked.

"Because having someone on the inside will make it much easier for us to take the ASA down from the inside. Plus, it would give him access to a wider variety of resources that we can take advantage of. More funding, intel, materials and a lot more." Jefferson said.

"Okay, I can see the appeal in that. But still, what happens if and by if, I mean when Odell finds out that Gambi is playing him, because he will. And honestly, I find it highly doubtful that Odell would rehire Uncle Gambi after he quit due to the reasons he quit." Jen pointed out.

"Gambi has a plan to overcome that particular obstacle." Jefferson said.

"Let me guess, blackmail?" Jen asked.

"The only thing Odell truly cares about is protecting himself. He'll find that having Gambi work for him is better for him, if only so that he can keep an eye on him. Not that it will do him much good." Jefferson said.

"You really think this will help us get an edge on the ASA?" Jen asked.

"And maybe even help us stop the threat of the Markovians before it starts, since maybe we can even find something that will expose Markovia's crimes as well." Jefferson said.

"That sounds more like wishful thinking to me." Jen said.

"Maybe it is, but you never know." Jefferson said and Jen nodded, since a new world meant new possibilities.