28 : w h a t . c a n n o t . b e . t a k e n

Start from the beginning

Kia felt the urge to jump to her feet as she had all those years ago, "And I don't remember my dad being a pushy jerk."

A smirk had crept across Igneel's face, "But it got you off the grass, didn't it?"

Young Kia blinked a few times, her gaze snapping back and forth between the dragon and the spot she had just been sprawled out in.

"Damn it, Dad." She crossed her arms over her chest, "You know it wouldn't kill you to grow a little patience."

"Sorry kiddo, your little brother used up most of those this morning."

She mumbled under her breath with a sigh, "He always does."

Even speaking that softly, her words couldn't hide from his superior senses. The Fire Dragon King leaned down, nudging his snout into Kia's back gently. She bit the inside of her cheek, trying not to respond to the action.

"You can't keep ignoring me," Igneel nudged her again, putting a hair more force behind it this time.

The nine-year-old dropped to the grass so that she would be harder to push over. Though the thought was admirable, it was useless against a dragon. He exhaled out his nostrils, sending her hair forward into her face before she felt the strong push against her back. Kia tumbled forward, completing four full somersaults before landing face up in the grass again.

Igneel stretched his neck so that he could look down at his adoptive daughter, "If you want to get frustrated, then come and get me." A challenging grin graced his features.

As much as Kia wanted to keep trying to ignore him, her own expression shifted to mirror his. "You're on!"

The pink-haired girl jumped to her feet, fire licking up her arms as she got into her fighting stance.

Igneel readied himself for the flames he had been watching grow stronger and more precise over the years. He didn't have a doubt in his mind that Kia would continue to grow stronger than anyone would ever realize. He couldn't help the proud look that sparkled in his amber eyes.

"That's my girl."

The faint tricklings of Izai's voice reached her ears as those last three words echoed in her mind.

||~x~||

The Fairy Tail members gaped as the silver flame continued to grow exponentially bigger with each passing second. Now at least twice the size of the man who was holding it, it began to change its shape. What looked like wings were slowly expanding past the sides, the top sharpening itself like the beak of a giant bird. The flame just kept growing, not showing any sign of stopping until it had created the full image and scale of the phoenix.

Their attention was pulled away as the ash around their feet began to surge upward, swirling toward the silver inferno. Izai's excitement was clear on his face as the tentacles of ash slipped past the barrier to create the foundation for the firebird to rise from.

This was it. He had succeeded.

But his expression suddenly shifted to one of shock. For the first time since he began the ritual, Izai looked away from his prize. His eyes landing on the hand that had wrapped around his ankle.

"You didn't...do...very good...research..." Kia's grip tightened as she reached out with her very essence.

"Kia!" Natsu cried out in shock and hope, following Izai's gaze to see his sister moving. His forearms and fists rested against the barrier from where he had been trying with all his might to get through it.