The truth - BakuKami angst

I don't have much to say about this except that I haven't written anything Christmas-y so take this instead and if I do end up writing a Christmas one I'll post it on Christmas.

Based on a TikTok by ash. cos.19

TW: discussion of self-harm.

~~~~~

The results of the phycological evaluation the whole class had to take were in, and as usual, Aizawa decided to read them allowed to the class, most were unsurprising, Midoriya had anxiety, Bakugo anger issues, Todoroki depression, etc, but then he got to Kaminari, and his expression became one of concern

"Kaminari, you're suffering from... severe depression."

The class erupted in shocked concern, he hadn't even called Todoroki's depression severe. Kaminari, however, was quick to counter, with a somewhat shaky smile, "No, no, no, this must be a mistake! I'm okay, don't worry about me!" He flashed a grin at the class but Bakugo spoke up before anyone could even begin to relax.

"When I think about it, you have been quiet all term, and you're only wearing long-sleeves." He said with a frown, before getting up and going to stand in front of the electric blonds desk, "Kaminari, show me your arms."

Kaminari shrunk in his seat, pulling the sleeves of his uniform over his hands, "No..." he said.

Bakugo narrowed his eyes, "why not?"

Kaminari seemed to shrink even more as he mumbled, "Because I can't."

Bakugo's concern only grew at that, "I'm not stupid, are you hurting yourself?"

"I'm sorry..." Kaminari whispered, before slipping out of his seat and running out of the room.

Everyone was frozen in shock, Bakugo staring at the chair Kami had just been in, before turning and following him out of the room, no one stopped him, and no one followed.

Bakugo found Kaminari a couple of hallways over, hyperventilating, Bakugo hesitated before kneeling in front of him, not too close as to make it worse but enough to help. "Hey, hey, Dun- Denki, breathe, breathe," Bakugo said.

Kaminari looked up, his eyes full of fear, his breathing got even faster, "n-no, n-o you weren't-t-" he cut himself off, clearly too panicked to even speak.

"Shit," Bakugo mumbled, Kaminari was gonna pass out if he didn't calm down, "breathe, ok? Just breathe. I know you don't want me here, but just let me help you," Kami gave a hesitant nod and Baku proceeded with calming Kaminari down.

Once his breathing was back to normal, Kami spoke, "you weren't supposed to find out." Bakugo sat beside him as he spoke, "not very heroic, huh? How am I supposed to help others when I can't even help myself?" He let out a self-deprecating laugh, "guess I am pathetic..." he looked away after that and Bakugo sighed.

"You're not pathetic, we've all been through a lot and-" Kaminari cut him off

"That's another thing!" He yelled, "I haven't! At least not as much as most of you guys! I was stuck inside with Mina, Sero, Sato, and Kirishima during the attack at the training camp! You were the one who got freaking kidnapped by villains! And I wasn't there for the rescue either! The only time I encountered them was at the USJ, but I short-circuited so I don't even remember most of it! I have no reason to feel like this! I'm just stupid, and pathetic, I shouldn't even be in the hero course! I-"

"Stop!" Bakugo shouted he couldn't listen to him put himself down anymore, "fine, maybe you haven't been through as much as the rest of us, but everyone has a limit. You don't think I've heard Jiro and the others make fun of you? Hell, I've done it myself, and for that, I'm sorry," Kaminari looked up in shock at that, but Bakugo continued, "you're allowed to feel this way, I just wish you'd talk to someone before acting on whatever self-destructive things you're mind tells you to do."

Kaminari looked down, "...do you still wanna see?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah." It was a lie, he didn't necessarily want to see what the other boy had done to himself, but he needed to, he couldn't back out now. Kaminari took a deep breath and tugged up his sleeve. It was mostly swirl-like scars that Bakugo could only assume were from using his quirk on himself, but there were also marks as if he'd scratched at his arm until it bled, and a handful of scattered scars left from a blade. Kami pulled his sleeve down again, his hand was shaking, Bakugo looked at the other boy, he was crying. Baku sighed and pulled him into a hug, Kami stiffened, shock and fear washing over him, Bakugo never hugged anyone, after a few seconds of the usually angry boy not using his quirk on him, he relaxed into Bakugo's arms, "it's ok, let it out," Bakugo mumbled and Kaminari broke, sobbing into Bakugo's shirt.

They sat there together for nearly two hours, even well after Kami had stopped crying, and Bakugo was just holding him. Bakugo simply glared at the teachers who walked past on the way to their next classes and they all left the two alone.

"Thank you," Kaminari finally said, and Bakugo looked down at him, smiling ever so slightly.

"You're welcome," Bakugo said, hugging him a little tighter then letting go, helping the shorter blond to his feet. Kaminari expected something like, 'if you tell anyone about this, I'll kill you, Dunce face!' From Bakugo, but it never came, instead, he slipped his hand into Kaminari's and lead the way back to their classroom.

Before they went inside, Kaminari stopped him, "You called me 'Denki' earlier."

"Yeah, so?" Bakugo asked, looking slightly uncomfortable.

"You never even use surnames, other than Kirishima, so I just... why?" He asked.

"Because I was gonna call you 'Dunce face' but I knew that would only make things worse," Bakugo told him, gripping his hand a little tighter.

"Oh..." Kami looked down, and then back up, this time he was smiling, the most real and brightest smile Bakugo had ever seen from him, "thank you!"

Bakugo looked away, trying and failing to push away the blush creeping up his cheeks, before muttering something unintelligible and letting go of his hand, opening the door and slinking to his seat without another word.

~

Later, Bakugo cornered, a very on guard, Midoriya in the hall. "Look, I'm not here to hurt you, ok? I just wanted to apologize for what I said to you in middle school, I went way too far, and, I'm sorry."

Midoriya would be lying if he said he wasn't shocked but he quickly recovered, "I... I forgive you, Kacchan."

Bakugo made a 'tsk' sound but he couldn't help the smile that crept onto his face.

~~~~~

So this is a thing. I need to edit the dialogue, and completely rework Bakugo's, but other than that, I kinda love it.

Written: 9-18-2021
Word count: 1094
Posted: 12-21-2021