Triggered pt 1/2 - BakuKami angst

Accidentally deleted the one that was supposed to be for today, and I don't like it enough to go get it and put it back so here.

Idea: Denki gets triggered and Bakugo has to stop him from hurting himself.

TW: light self-harm and discussion of it, scars, and mentioned blood.

~~~~~

It was the dumbest thing, it always was. Sero commented on cutting his tape and it sent Denki spiraling. He wished it wasn't that easy to trigger him, he wished he couldn't be triggered at all, but that was unrealistic.

He sat in front of his bedroom door, he hadn't bothered to lock it, just went inside and slid down it. His arms ached for pain, and tears pricked his eyes as he tried not to think about the feeling, but his mind bombarded him with images of red lines and pools of blood. He shuddered at the images, resisting the urge to hit his head against the door, knowing it would only make things worse. 

A knock interrupted his thoughts but he didn't move to answer, as much as he wanted the distraction, he also didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

   "Pikachu, I know you're in there, open the god damn door!" Bakugou growled.

Denki held back a groan, he didn't feel like getting yelled at by Bakugo, but he also knew that if he didn't open the door Bakugo would only get angrier, though he wouldn't blow up the door or anything, so technically he was probably safe, but he didn't want to take the chance.

Forcing himself up, Denki opened the door and attempted to smile at the explosive boy, but Bakugo's gaze only hardened, "Drop the act, I know something's wrong, that's why I'm here." He said before inviting himself in, walking past the electricity user into the room and seating himself on Denki's bed, arms crossed.

Cautiously, Denki closed the door and went to sit down next to Bakugo, his smile not completely gone but faded. "What makes you think something's wrong?" Denki asked.

Bakugo deadpanned, "Your smile dropped and you glanced down at your arms as soon as Sero said the word "Cutting," then you shuddered, looked up again, and it was back in place, but your eyes were never completely focused on anyone the rest of the conversation, and then you practically ran off first chance there was."

Denki looked at the wall, "I didn't know you paid that much attention to me," He said.

Bakugo grunted, "Look, I know it may not seem like it, but I care about you, and if something is going on, I want to know about it,"

Denki smiled slightly at that, "Nothing is going on, I promise, I'm completely fine,"

Bakugo frowned, clearly not believing him, "Show me your arms then."

Denki's eyes widened, his gaze snapping to the other boy, "What?"

   "Show me your arms, I'm not going to ask again,"

Knowing he'd rather show him voluntarily than be forced to, Denki unbuttoned the cuffs of his sleeves and pushed them up to his elbows. His eyes traced the faded white lines, and more clear pink ones, that covered his forearms, lingering on the more raised scars. Memories began to drift through his mind, the same images from before, along with thoughts reminding him how good it would feel to press a blade into his arm and hurt himself worse than ever. He quickly yanked his sleeves back down with another shudder.

Looking back up at Bakugo, he was surprised to see the clear concern on his face, instead of the scowl he was so used to. He quickly looked back down as dark thoughts began to filter in amongst the others in his mind. He felt a sharp pain in the palm of his hand, only then realizing how he'd clenched his hand into a fist.

A hand grabbed his, stopping him from digging his nails into the palm worse than he already was, "Don't do that," Bakugo told him, for once he didn't sound angry, just concerned. "Look at me," Denki did as told, "Don't hurt yourself, please, I don't want anything to happen to you, you're one of the only people I would consider a friend, I don't want to lose you,"

Denki was shocked, not only had Bakugo said "Please" but he'd called him a friend, which was a huge honor. Before he could think about what he was doing, Denki was hugging Bakugo, and to his surprise, Bakugo hugged him back. It only lasted a few seconds, however, before Bakugo pushed him away saying, "Ok, That's enough. Do you feel any better?" Bakugo asked, clearly a bit uncomfortable now.

Denki nodded, "Yeah. Thanks, Kacchan,"

Bakugou made a "tsk" sound, looking away, "Whatever, Idiot." His tone was significantly softer than it usually was, showing he didn't mean it as an insult, it was almost endearing. "Seriously though, Kaminari, If you ever feel like doing... That again," He motioned to Denki's arms, "Come talk to me, I don't want you to end up dead."

Denki winced, closing his eyes, but nodded, "I will."

~~~~~

(original) I think that's it, I'm proud of this one, and it was fun to write this on my new phone.

Probably gonna be changing the title and cover since this is really more of a Bakukami one-shot book than just Denki.

Written: 3-7-2021
Word count: 815
Posted: 11-15-2021