I looked over at the handsome man whose warm brown skin had a light sheen of sweat covering it and smiled in solidarity as my boyfriend lapped us both.

"On your left." Steve chirped cheerily as he ran past.

"Morning people amiright?" The stranger said with a gap toothed grin as Steve left us both in the dust.

At this point, I don't think my new partner knew what he was in for. I kept chugging along, my heart pounding and my legs raising little white flags of surrender, then—right on time—came a familiar voice.

"On your left."

The guy beside me did a double take looking askance at me and I gave him what I hoped was a reassuring grin. It was most likely more a pained grimace, but I digress. We both jogged along for a few more minutes, the sun slowly rising—then...

"On your left."

"Uh huh. On your left— got it." The guy said as Steve ran past once again. The new guy raised an eyebrow as he looked back at me and I stifled a laugh, "You with him?"

"Guilty." I shrugged.

He nodded in response and started to speed up as once again the sound of rapid foot steps started to get louder behind us.

"Don't Say It! DON'T SAY IT!"

I stopped—hands on my knees—unable to hold back my laughter anymore watching him try to speed up in order for Steve not to pass him again.

"On your left." Steve said after gifting me with a cheeky wink.

"Oh come on!" The guy groaned, his legs and arms pumping rapidly in an attempt keep pace.

I walked over to the tree line and slid down to the ground at the base of a tree in the shade. My eyes tracked the duo as the guy tried admirably to keep up with Steve for about 20 mins while the sun rose above the tree line. Eventually he seemed to concede defeat and made his way over to me. He sunk to the ground beside me with an exhausted huff and we both tried to get more air into our abused lungs for a moment.

"I think I need a medic." I gasped.

"I need a new set of lungs." He replied and I laughed.

"I'm Wren."

"Sam."

"That's Steve." I said pointing at the tiny figure about to make another lap.

"Yea, I gathered. The guy's a machine."

"I'd be more impressed if I hadn't already seen in him action." I replied watching Steve run.

"Is that a euphemism of some kind?"

My eyes widened shooting to his as my face heated with embarrassment. Sam started laughing at my expense, his face lighting up with mirth.

"Sorry—sorry. But the face you just made was worth it."

"I didn't mean it that way." I muttered wiping at my sweaty forehead.

"I know, so you and Captain America are together?"

I was still slightly taken aback by how recognizable Steve was.