His condition grew worse and worse, and the lack of a second income was concerning. Red letters in bolded print ran across most mail we received, most if not all of it reading "PAST DUE".

I couldn't get a second job at this point. It would be useless to get another job just to be fired a week from starting because of another drunken rage.

I sighed, stretching my arms above my head. My (hair length and color) hair was surely a mess, so I decided on having a shower before I poured a cup of coffee for myself. Maybe a shower would help wash away my troubles. At the very least, it would wash away the permeating stench of his kiss on my cheek.

I took my time under the (favorite temp water), savoring every drop that touched my skin.

I stood, my hair soaked and my eyes closed as the water rained over me, and stifled back tears. I didn't really want to be with him anymore. What else could I do? With no income of my own and nowhere to go, I was stuck with him. I grew more and more fearful of him every day. He had shown me multiple times that he wasn't afraid to lay hands on me, or lock me in a room for several hours.

The first time he ever hit me, it was because I had begged him to put the bottle down and give me his keys because he was about to take himself ,and the bottle, in the car to go to a gas station. He spat in my face and told me that he was a grown man, and could have a drink whenever he wanted. And then he closed-fist struck me. I'd say it was a punch, but it's not like I ended up with a shiner or anything, just a bruised cheek. He was probably too drunk to throw a punch even if he had wanted to.

I turned the water off, and stood in the shower for another minute, wiping my face with my hands. I guess my hope to wash away the thoughts was a wasted one.

I sluggishly got myself dressed, still leaving the towel wrapped around my hair.

As I walked into the kitchen, I could faintly hear my beloved phone vibrating from the small island countertop. I would leave it there to charge since Henry would demand on an almost daily basis to go through it. I figured leaving it in plain sight and within reach of him would just make life easier all around.

I tapped the screen twice, smiling as I saw my (lock-screen photo) and the name in the notification bar.

' bitch balls <3'. I smiled even wider as I read the name. My best friend in the entire world, Mary Lynn, earned that nickname when we were younger by yelling out the car window at some couple arguing on the street.

The man was yelling in the woman's face, and as we approached the arguing couple, she looked at me from the driver's side and said, "Fuckin' watch this shit right now," and proceeded to yell at the man,"YOU'RE A PUSSY, A BITCH WITH BALLS!"

I never had laughed so hard in my life, and from that moment on, our little inside joke had been 'bitch balls'.

I opened the phone, reflexively looking over my shoulder, then sighed to myself. I half expected Henry to be lurking over me, trying to read my messages, make sure I'm not 'cheating'.

' heyy bitch' 9:08 am.

'you didn't respond to my first message so im assuming ur walking wallet is still home' 9:10 am.

'bitch get you ass up istg' 9:45 am.

'okay bet im gonna come to ur house be there in like now' 10:11 am.

I let a laugh out, smiling wildly. She always knew how to boost my morale. And honestly, a nice girl's date wouldn't hurt by any means.

Just as I went to message her back, two loud knocks on the front door nearly made me jump out of my skin.

I couldn't see who it was through the small pane of glass on the door, only that whoever it was was wearing black.

I opened the door, curious as to why two police officers were standing at my front door.

"Yes, hello, can I help you?" I asked meekly.

The two officers shared a knowing look with one another before the officer that knocked on the door removed his hat and turned his gaze to my own.

"Are you (Name) (Last Name) by chance?"

I nodded, a sinking feeling settling in my stomach. Something wasn't right.

"We have some bad news. Your boyfriend Henry was found de-,urm, deceased this morning,"

My stomach sank into my feet, and finally through my feet and into the earth.

Part of me almost felt a little relief, and for that, instantly felt guilty, letting a few tears slide down my cheeks before I even had time to notice I was crying.

"I'm so sorry, Miss (Last Name). I know this is shocking, but do you think you'd be able to ride with us down to the station to answer a few questions? Reason being is because we believe Henry may have been a victim of foul play."

My mind swirled in circles, stringing my stomach along with it. I felt like my whole body would collapse, but surprisingly, I remained standing.

"H-How did he die? Pass, I mean..H-how...what happened? I mean, he just left t-this morning,"

He put his hat back on followed by his sunglasses. " I know you probably have a lot of questions, and I can answer them once we get to the station."

And so, I went.

---- This is the end of chapter one. I wanted to address that this fanfiction is intended to be pretty lengthy, and though there's no mention of Jack yet, there will be soon. I wanted this to flow as much as possible, and to be more meaningful than the typical 'I went to walk in the woods' or 'i got kidnaped from my house and from my abusive parents :((' type. I hope anybody who takes the time to read this enjoys it and can picture what I'm trying to portray, and as always, if you're going to Meatball, do it Extravagantly. <3----