0.1

Deafening Silence - Chapter One

- - - - - - - - - - -

The chilling noise of the water dripping off the shower head echoed through the silent, lifeless and dimly lit hallway. Drip, Drip, Drip. Everything echoed through those hallways. The screams and cries of pain, torture and suffering had travelled through those hallways, haunting and scaring them forever. But of course the noises that the hallways hid within the cracks of the walls had nothing on what I had heard. It would be late at night when all of us would be trying to sleep to escape from the harsh realities of these walls when we would hear it. The sounds of bodies' jerking and metal hitting metal upon the stainless steel tables.

I had only been in there once. Men and women dressed nursing gowns would hold you down, their eyes void of any emotion and looked as dark and cold as the deepest parts of the ocean. Then they would tie down your wrists and feet to the stain less steel table. Electrical pads would be placed on either side of our heads and on our lower back. When you would least expect it, your body would be jolted with a sudden surge of electrical current. Your body would catapult and jerk uncontrollably, unable to make a simple cry of pain due to your body being overridden by shock. The men and women in that room would continue this inhumanly act until they saw fit, or you're passed out from complete and utter exhaustion. The 'doctors' in that room believed that this shock therapy would make us 'normal' again.

Normal.

Such a common word with so many meanings. Those doctors wanted to make us better, but we didn't want to get better because in our minds we were normal. The voices and the images we saw made us think we were normal. At least that's what the voices in my head told me. I was huddling in the corner of my room, rocking myself back and forward holding my frayed and rugged blanket close to me. I wouldn't go near the halls. I wouldn't go near the door. The demons in head made me cower from any sign of pain that I may endure. The demons not wanting to leave me, wanted to stay in my head to corrupt me. Or at least that's what the doctors would say.

The walls in my room were moist, damp and the cracks were full with moss like the ocean. Green, slimy, slippery and slightly sticky. I had window in my room. The window only small but big enough to fit my hand through and to allow the nights breeze to howl freely in my room. I had been here, stuck within these hallways and walls for almost three years now. But in in here time creeps up on you like a ghost would upon its pray.