10. Rumors, Jealousy, & The Question

Start from the beginning

*******

The next morning, I ring the doorbell that belongs to the Welt household, praying Lilianna isn't home. For once, she is the last person I want to see right now; I want to speak to her mother.

For a second I wonder if this is how nerve racking it feels like when asking parents for their daughter's hand in marriage. Which is not what I am about to do... well not exactly. I am only sixteen.

Ms. Welt answers the door with a cup of tea in her hand, her brown hair in a bun atop her head, and mix-matched pajamas on. I see just how similar Lilianna is to her Mom. It's Saturday and we are not doing anything? Pajama day. Even though she doesn't have her father in her life, I know Lilianna is so fucking greatful for her mother.

Before I can say anything, Ms. Welt says, "Hi, Cole. Lily is not here right now, she went to the bookstore. You know Lilianna and her love for getting lost in fiction."

Damn girl, we just went to the bookstore a week ago, is my initial thought.

As much as I would rather not do this, my mother raised a gentleman, and my Mom is one of the most important females in my life. You didn't hear this from me, but Lilianna is the most important female in my life, then my mother. But you don't know that.

"I was actually here to talk to you, Ms. Welt."

"Oh, Colson, come in," she says, opening the front door more so I can walk into the beautiful modern Victorian house. "Is everything alright?" She asks and I can tell she is starting to worry. "You know you are like another child to me."

"No, I'm doing great actually. I wanted to talk to you about Lily, though," I say and all the worry vanishes from her face and a smile plays on her lips.

It is the same smile she shared with my parents when me and Lily first met, the smile that our parents continued to show time and time again throughout our childhood. It is a smile that clearly says they know something we don't. Or, maybe, just maybe Lil and I know it deep down, we just haven't connected the dots yet.

"Okay," she says as we sit down at the dining room table. She sets down her mug on a coaster, and sits across from me, the smile still smug on her face.

"Can I take your daughter to the homecoming dance?" I say in one breath, quickly ripping the bandaid off. At first, I wonder if she even understood what I asked. She burts into a fit of laughter, and I have never been more confused in my life.

Once her laughter dies down, she says, "Colson, why would you even ask that?" She questions and my heart rips in two. It's only then do I realize she isn't finished. "Of course you can take Lilianna to Homecoming. In fact, please do," she finishes.

"Really?" I question

"Colson, I trust you with Lily. I trust you to protect and take care of her. You are a great kid and your parents are good people, they raised you right. I know you respect her, and I just want my daughter to be happy and healthy in life. So, yes, you can take her to homecoming. Hell, do you want to ask for my blessing right here, right now?"

We both start laughing and I thank her for letting me take her daughter to Homecoming.

"There is one thing I would like to know, though," she pushes.

"Okay..." I respond, skeptical.

"You two didn't sleep together, right?" My cheeks heat up and I have never been more embarrassed in my life.

"No!" I exclaim and I am 110% sure my face shows looks of fear, horror, and embarrassment.

*******

Could I have just asked Lily to go to Homecoming with me? Yes. Did I decide to do something extra? Also, yes.

Good God, Cole.

I finished reading and annotating Lily's favorite book, The Cheat Sheet, last night just for this. On the first page, I wrote a message to Lily, in that message is the question.

Will you go to Homecoming with me?

I told Lilianna to meet me at the park at 3:00, I see her walk up at 2:59. That's my Lil, sweet, kind, caring, stubborn, and barley on time.

"Hey," she says when she approaches me.

"Hey," I respond back, and it feels like the first time we met again. "I have something for you."

"What? I didn't need anythi-" She gets cut off when I pull the book out of the bag. "Colson, what's this?"

"I got your favorite book, read it, annotated it, and left you a message on the first page."

"This is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. Thank you," she says looking up at me through long eyelashes.

"You're welcome," I said with a smile and she flips to the first page and starts reading.

Here we go...

author's note!

word count: 1,323

did i just end this chapter on a cliffhanger? oopsie daises... not!

i know i have been m.i.a. a lot recently, and i'm so sorry! i have had a lot going on with school and in my personal life, but thank you all for being patient with me.

also... three things about me has been at #2 in boybestfriend for over a week now!! thank you all for the love on this book, it really inspires me to keep writing.

make sure if you make any three things about me tiktoks, use the #threethingsaboutmewattpad hashtag and tag me in the video @katiesreadz

also make sure to check out the three things about me spotify playlist and pinterest board! link in bio ;)