Original Edition: 62. The Bonfire

Start from the beginning

"Tropical beauties!"

That brings a smile to my face, Gregory is so energetic and cheerful, he reminds me of Carlos. Samy offers him a drink.

"How come you always have so much energy?" Gregory drinks and exhales noticeably.

"It is the strength of youth," he sits on the sand in front of us. "What were you talking about? You had serious expressions."

"Nonsense," I say, rubbing his head as if he were a puppy. "Who's a good boy?," Gregory barks and sticks out his tongue, Samy rolls his eyes.

"It's because of you that he doesn't grow up," Gregory gives her a hurt puppy dog look. "I'm not going to rub your head," Gregory continues with his eyes, I can only watch the show with a smile on my face. Samy sighs. "Good," and she rubs his head.

Gregory sticks out his tongue and licks her hand. "Ah!"

"The sun is about to set."

"We should build a campfire before we lose the sunlight."

Why do I always come up with ideas like this?

Eight walks in search of firewood later.

In the movies, lighting a campfire isn't that complicated, it looks easy and practical, well, welcome to reality, it's fucking hard. We are all sweaty with darkness already upon us, but finally the campfire is lit. We sit around it, the reflection of the fire on our faces glowing with sweat.

I am next to Ares, leaning my head on his shoulder, with my eyes watching the flames of the fire, which as it has blue sparkles it calms me and gives me a sense of peace. The wind on the beach, the sound of the waves, the boy next to me, the friends around me, it's a perfect moment, and I pay attention to every detail to keep this moment in a special place in my heart.

"I'm going to miss you," Gregory breaks the silence and I think he's saying what we're all thinking.

Apolo throws a piece of wood into the fire.

"At least you're going to college too, Gregory. I'll stay in high school by myself."

Dani stares at him, with clear feelings in her eyes. I wonder if I'll look this obvious when I look at Ares.

Of course I do, I mentally growl at my answering conscience.

Marco returns from his car search, bags of marshmallows in his hands. The food arrived.

Samy helps him with the bags.

"Yes! I want to eat something sweet so badly."

Gregory coughs.

"Marco can give you something sweet, you know, to suck on."

Samy grimaces.

"You are the worst."

Dani gets the wonderful idea to talk.

"Besides, that's not sweet."

"Ohhhhhhhhh!"

I can only cover my face. Dani blushes as she realizes she has made a serious mistake. That's what I like to call: verbal auto-sabotage. They'll make fun of her forever and ever with that.

While they make fun of Dani, Ares whispers to me.

"Shall we walk along the shore of the beach?" God, I love his voice.

I straighten up, taking my face off his shoulder to look at him.

"Only if you promise to behave."