40 - Where there is love, there is life

Start from the beginning

Feeling her hand move, he raised his head, looking at her, waiting for any other movement. He felt what felt like an attempt to squeeze his hand and her eyes began fluttering repeatedly and she groaned, laying her head to the side, facing him. Her eyes roamed around, trying to get a view of things before they landed on Luciano.

He had gotten up, coming back with a bottle of water and a straw inside it. Helping her take a sip, she laid her head back with a sigh.

"L-Lu-"

"I'm here" He brushed her hair, kissing her hand.

"C-cold" She shivered and once again he got up, pulled out the blanket from the bag that was brought to him from home and laid the blanket over her.

"Better?" He asked and she nodded smiling at him causing him to chuckle softly before he kissed her hand again.

The more she stared at him, the more she wanted to laugh and she tried, but it caused her to wince due to the vibrations hurting her chest, where she was shot.

"I'm sorry I didn't protect you Tesoro" He laid his head down, their hands shaking, Teresa not sure if it was hers or his, but she could tell he was going to cry.

"I should've done something. I should've never let you walk out on your own. We could have avoided this" Wincing, she moved her other arm, placing her hand in his hair, massaging the back of his neck.

"The only difference would be you in this bed" She whispered back and he raised his head, wiping his face as he said, "It should have been that way"

She shook her head, "It shouldn't. And I would do it again" , she said, truthfully. Even though he was putting himself at risk of being in the hospital bed everyday, still if it were to come down to it once more, she would take the bullet again. She didn't want to, bullets hurt like a bitch, but her body and heart felt compelled to. Something about standing there while the person you love gets shot, didn't sit right with her. Besides, he's been in more emotional pain then she ever has, and she was okay with keeping him from having to bear the physical as well.

Because she knew he would. Dons have to. Strode around like they were fine so their enemies would think so to. She knows. Luciano did it before, only the bullet didn't penetrate his body, just a graze.

She wondered how long she'd been in there and when Luciano told her for two days, she told him to go home and shower, at least attempting to convince him that she would be fine, but he refused multiple times.

Her eyes closed as she yawned and Luciano chuckled, his eyes staring down at her with unmistakable love. Total and utter love.

"You should get some rest Tesoro"

She nodded, "After I talk to Adriano" She said and he nodded, kissing her forehead. His hand slipped from hers as he got up and left the room, Teresa fighting to keep her eyes open.

They must've given her medicine or something. Her eyes began to adjust to the light better and she saw the IV drip to her arm. She always wondered how it felt to have a needle in your body for a long time, now she knows. She still didn't like needles though. "She's awake" She heard and her head turned towards the door to see Adriano striding up to her with a grin.

"You look like shit" She laughed, but it quickly stopped once she groaned from the pain. He chuckled, sitting down next to her, replacing the spot Luciano once sat.

"High expectations for someone who just took a bullet to the chest" He smirked and she rolled her eyes.

" Not my best moment" She winced, as she adjusted herself so her neck wouldn't hurt anymore and his eyes dropped. " It shouldn't have never been a moment Teresa" He sighed, threading his fingers through hers.