Chapter 6

***I changed the plot a bit but I will explain at the end***

The Next Day
SSA Jennifer Jareau's POV

I don't know what to do. Do you ever have that moment where you just don't know where to go in life? I didn't mean for any of this to happen.
Spencer Reid is the cutest, sweetest, and most thoughtful teddy bear ever. He's too smart for his own good at times.
Then there's Aaron Hotchner, handsome, stoic, and strong both emotionally and physically. He understands people yet can have a softer side. I don't know how he does it to be honest.
I didn't plan this. How can I be so torn? I am very thankful for my new found friendship with Emily and Penelope, they keep my head centered on work instead of Aaron Hotchner's chest
"So what was that about, JJ?" Emily asked while taking a bite of a sandwich, "I mean Hotch needing you in his office with the blinds closed"
As Penelope nudged me, I rolled my eyes, "it was a normal meeting to review cases, keep your fantasies in that brilliant mind of yours"
This comment caused both of them to laugh and look at each other in a funny manner
"You're in a room full of profilers. You don't think all of us notice how he watches you, keeps you under his wing. After Haley, I didn't think he would ever be like that again" Emily retorted, laughing at first but then becoming very serious
"Yeah," Garcia chimed in, "it's just nice to see him actually smile again. Poor guy."
All this information flooded my head and left me very confused,
"Wait, who's Haley?" I asked, a bit of offense sneaking out as I asked
"Ohh, you don't know about Haley?" She asked, genuinely confused I didn't know, "she's Hotch's ex wife, she was killed during a case we were all working." Emily explained
"He was racing to save them, but he couldn't get there in time and listened on the phone while Foyet killed then." Garcia said somberly
"Them? Who else was there?" I asked in disbelief
"Haley and their son Jack, did you really not know about this?" Emily questioned
I was stunned into silence, I didn't even know what to say. When was he planning on telling me he had been married with a child. This seemed like pretty important important information to share
"No," I said shortly, "I didn't know anything about this. Excuse me." I got up and went to Hotch's office and knocked.

Unit Chief SSA Aaron Hotchner's POV

I heard a knock at my door and got up, opening the door. I saw JJ and she looked very distressed, something horrible has happened. Terrorist attack? A mass shooting? I couldn't imagine.
"JJ, what's happened?" I asked and pulled her into my office, "how many dead?"
I shut the door and looked at her but she looked more shocked than normal.
"When were you gonna tell me you were married and had a child?" She asked, the pain escaping at every words
I stood there in silence, she wasn't supposed to find out like this. What was I gonna say?
"Tonight. There's no way I can make you believe that but I wasn't going to let things get too far without telling you." I said slowly, walking towards her and taking her in my arms, "please understand that I am still coping with my emotions. I lost my wife and child, it took a part of me away that I don't think I will ever get back." I stroked her hair slowly
JJ was processing this information, and I understand that. She simply leaned into me, then I heard a sniffle. I quickly but gently pulled her face away and looked at her, she was crying.
"JJ, I didn't mean for you to find out like this. Please don't be upset with me." I pleaded with her.
As I wiped her tears, she looked up at me in shock.
"Hotch, I'm not upset you didn't tell me. I'm upset that you are in so much pain. I couldn't imagine what you're going through." She said through her tears.
I let out a sigh of relief and pull her into my chest. My sweet JJ. She is more upset that I'm mourning than the fact I didn't tell her, and of course she is. I give her time to cry, holding her and giving her kisses on top of her head. As her tears dried up, she just leaned against me in silence. After a couple of minutes, she looked up at me,
"I want to meet them, Hotch." She said softly, a little tear falling down her cheek.
"Of course but not today, let us have our time and I will take you tomorrow." I say as I wipe her tears
She nodded in agreement and I gave her forehead a little kiss.
"Thank you for being so concerned about me, my sweet. It means a lot to me. But you need to go finish lunch." I said sweetly and softly, "I'm taking you and Reid with me to go to an interview. Death row inmate, the usual. Tell Reid we leave at 2:30, okay?"
She once again nodded and kissed my cheek before leaving. I peak out the blinds and watch her go to Reid and tell him. He stands up in concern for the tears in her eyes and pats her shoulder. He is trying to remain professional, I can tell. He wants to hug and comfort her so badly but I can't. I hate to compete with him but I have the upper hand here. I can have privacy here while he can't. I can team her with whoever I'd like, including me. I will never dangle their jobs over their head, nor will I dangle the fact that I am their boss. It has to be somewhat fair. Getting Jennifer Jareau has to be fair.

———————————————————————————
Hey everyone!! Holy cow, #24 in Jeid and #3 in Jotch!! Thank you all so much!! Almost 100 reads too!!

So let me address some confusion: I have messed up the timeline. It was an unintentional error. I know that JJ came in while Gideon and Elle were there,  I just forgot to be honest. Now, I'm too attached to how the story is working out to go back and change it. Oopsie!!

So for this chapter, I wanted there to be a big secret about Hotch, so Haley's death seemed appropriate. HOWEVER, I didn't know how to write Jack in so I just made his secret 10 times more sad... I'm so sorry to everyone's heart haha!! Thank you all!!