Chapter 2

Unit Chief SSA Aaron Hotchner's POV

In order to properly tell my side of the story, I would have to think back to the day I interviewed JJ. She had an impressive resume and I just knew deep down. For the record, I picked her before I saw her. But when she came into the room, it sealed the deal. JJ was young, fit, and gorgeous, there was no question to her joining the team. It may have been selfish once I saw her, but she was going to be a good fit. Fast forward to the present moment, as we board the jet for Cincinnati. I find myself sitting shoulder to shoulder with JJ, her leaning in towards me to let the others through. With her shoulder on my chest, I make sure that my heart stays in control. I'm sure Reid could tell us some statistics on the butterflies that get into your stomach when a beautiful woman touches you. But right now, all I'm focused on is the girl in front of me. She moves off and coldness hits my chest where her shoulder was. It feels almost sad knowing that I no longer had her touch against me.
As the team discusses the case, I assign JJ to come with me down to the police station. It makes sense, she is the communications liaison so she should come to where the media will be. No one knew it was for a more selfish reason I placed her with me. However, I look over at Spencer and immediately recognize his feelings towards JJ. No, it's not obvious but I knew him well enough to know his feels. The way he would stare at her lips, move closer to her when she was cold, and listened closely to every word she said. I felt a brief second of guilt, knowing that it'd break his heart if he knew I felt the same way towards her. But what could I do? I can't spend my life sheltering Spencer's feelings. Gideon didn't, so why should I?
          We all split up and head our separate ways, Spencer and Dave heading to the ME's office; Morgan and Prentiss to the most recent abduction site; and JJ and I to go set up at the station. She handles this job with such grace and politeness, yet is still firm with the media. I watch as she gives a brief press conference, just announcing that we were here and investigating the disappearances. The media starts to dissipate and I ensure JJ gets inside safely, grabbing her arm gently as the media begins to swarm her, asking questions. I pull her inside, my arms around her, guiding her gently. JJ shuts the door yet doesn't move away from my touch. Maybe she is feeling this too?

SSA Jennifer Jareau's POV

          I feel Hotch's hands guiding me inside and I feel comfort. He won't let anyone touch me, I'm safe in his arms. I forcefully shut the media out of the station, laughing as I look up at Hotch. He is holding my shoulders, looking down at me. He is so handsome and strong, yet kind and attentive to me. He can smell fear, he's a profiler, that's what he does.
          "JJ, if you ever feel uncomfortable, please don't hesitate to tell me or any one of us." He said and let go of me, "we have a gut instinct for a reason, listen and tell us. We can and will protect you."
          I nod and thank him quickly, walking towards my desk. It's nothing he's done, it's not him. How can I have feelings for my boss, how wrong is this? He is my boss, he is everything I cannot have. This is my job and I can't screw this up. I take notes of what we know so far, assembling together what I will tell the public. Spence and Rossi return, telling us what they think. After Morgan and Emily return, they all come to the conclusion that we are dealing with a team: a man and a woman. They both most likely hates women that have this specific look but for different reasons. The woman is envious of these women considering, historically, they have been the ideal beauty standard. Thanks for the tidbit of information, Spence. The man hates women who look like this, he is using surrogates. All this terminology I learned in training is really used and I rack my brain to remember and understand. Spence comes to my side, kneeling down and quietly explaining what these things mean.
         "I know it can be overwhelming on your first real case, trust me. You'll catch on soon." He whispers while looking up at me.
         "Thank you, Spence. I really appreciate it." I whisper back, giving him a grateful smile.
          He nods and stays where he is while Hotch talks about his plan of action. However, it is late and we need our rest to work efficiently; so they all head back to the hotel. I decided to stay behind and organize everyone's thoughts and papers, we were all scattered. I set up a case board with all the theories, put all the papers into files, throw away coffee cups, and generally just clean up. I finish up in about 45 minutes and then begin to leave, grabbing my go bag and a fresh cup of coffee. I walk outside and head towards the hotel. Now, I do not carry a gun as of right now. The conceal carry licensure has yet to become installed federally, so no gun for me just yet. I look down at my phone to see what time it was, feel something sharp prick my neck, and everything goes black.

——————————————————
Hey y'all!! I've been on vacation, so I hope you all enjoy this!!