Chapter 1

SSA Jennifer Jareau's POV

What have I decided to do with my life? What has led me to this point, I am where I meant to be. However, it doesn't really feel like it. I have worked my whole life to get to this point, and now that I'm here, I feel I've made a mistake. My first day of work for the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit and I feel like a deer in headlights. The only person I have to answer for is myself. As I walk to my office, several people stare at me as if I am green with purple hair. I have heard things about this unit, how they are very tightknit and almost clique-y. This didn't phase me though, I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, I knew how to deal with a small clique. I am now the communications liaison, meaning I am the bridge between the team and the public. It's a large role to fill but I am ready for the challenge. As I set up my desk, a knock appears at my door and Unit Chief, Agent Hotchner, the man who interviewed me, steps in with a small smile.
"Jennifer, I am glad you are joining us this morning. Welcome to the team! I will do formal introductions later, you keep getting set up. If you have any questions or concerns, my office is 205." Agent Hotchner said in a stern but friendly tone
I smiled and nodded,
"Yes, thank you Agent Hotchner." I said and stuck out my hand for him to shake. Hotchner smiled and shook his head,
"Hotch or Aaron works just fine, Ms. Jareau." He said with a smile.
I giggled and shook my head in response,
"Since we are becoming less formal, I go by JJ, sir. However, if you prefer I went by Jennifer, that is alright with me." I said, my blonde hair bobbing
"I am completely comfortable with the team referring to you as JJ. Call or come by if you need." The unit chief said and walked out.
I stepped away from my desk and looked out the window to notice a young man around my age looking up at me through the blinds. He was tall and lanky, cute in that goofy way. Once he was caught, he quickly looked away and pretended to appear busy. I let a small laugh out and continued with my work. Who was he anyway? And why was he looking up here?

SSA Dr. Spencer Reid's POV

I have been intrigued by many things in my life: books, behavior, and chess to name a few. But I have never been more intrigued by anything as much as I was by the new liaison. She was... perfect in every sense of the word. She was a medium height, blonde with blue eyes, fit, and seemed extremely sweet.
"This place will chew her up and spit her out alive." I heard a voice behind me say
SSA Derek Morgan was standing at his desk, looking up at the new woman. He shook his head and crossed his arms.
"Actually, statistics show that 71% of people succeed and excel in jobs that the people around them didn't think they were cut out for. Of that 71%, 38% go on to accept leadership positions in their fields." I said without blinking an eye
There has to be hope for her, she is too perfect in my eyes for her to fail. Just as I begin to get back to work, Hotch texts the group. A new case, a new city, and a new woman to share these memories with. I sit down in my usual seat in the briefing room to open the case. All seems normal except I notice a new chair beside mine. The new girl sits down beside me and I turn to her. My goodness, if she isn't more beautiful up close than from afar. Hotch begins to introduce us to SSA Jennifer Jareau, or as she goes by, JJ. She gives a small wave and says she's happy to be here. And in all reality, I'm glad she's here too. We needed a change like this.
"Okay, my crime fighting heroes," begins Penelope Garcia, the BAU's tech analysis and absolutely computer genius, "today you all will be going to the fine city of Cincinnati, Ohio where three college-aged girls appeared dead within the last 72 hours. Another girl, Sarah Johnston, was just reported missing." Garcia said while pulling up pictures of all the girls.
"He sure does have a type..." Morgan pointed out quickly but with a sigh
I look up to see four blonde haired, blue eyed girls staring back at me. All of them could pass as JJ's sister. My stomach turns so I look down at the Medical Examiner's report to distract myself.
"3 girls in 3 days and another missing is one short cooling off period. Wait, what is that on their wrist?" SSA Emily Prentiss said, staring at the pictures.
"Those are three icky lines carved into the skin. And now I want to go look at baby penguins... or puppies." Garcia said with a disgusted look on her face.
"The ME report said they were done antemortem, so they have to have some sort of significance. Historically, the number 3 can symbolize a lot. It can have any meaning from a religious meaning to paganism to simple mundane things." I chime in quickly.
I feel a small set of eyes lock on me so I look to see JJ is looking up at me. My goodness, how does one survive feeling like this? I hide my blush with a small cough and go back to the case.
"If this pattern keeps up, we have a little less than 24 hours to find Sarah alive." Hotch says with a stern frown, "wheels up in 20."
We all stand up to go get our things when I find myself face to face with JJ. Her long hair flows down past her shoulders as she smiles up at me
"Hi, umm, my name is Dr. Spencer Reid." I hear myself croak out, "but you don't have to call me Doctor, it's just a formal title. You can call me whatever you'd like." I say with the cheesiest smile
Wow, Spencer, great way to embarrass yourself in front of the prettiest woman you've ever seen. I look up slightly to see Morgan staring at with second hand embarrassment and disappointment.
JJ laughed and stuck out her hand, "well, it's nice to meet you, Spence, I'll see you on the plane." She said with the kindest and prettiest smile in the world
I find myself shaking her hand before she walked away. It was so soft and so little, I knew I was head over heels for Agent Jareau. Morgan introduces himself and then walks over, shaking his head.
"Pretty boy has a crush!" He chanted in a sing-song-y way, "and he just embarrassed himself pretty bad. Let me give you some pointers."
I tune Derek out and think about her hand in mine. I never shake people's hands, it is so unsanitary, especially from strangers. However, nothing could have stopped my urge to touch her, at least once. I grab my bag to board the plane, impatiently waiting to see her again. I am not the smoothest, nor do I have a body like Derek Morgan, but I have to find a way to get this girl. I just have to find a way to get Jennifer Jareau.