twenty-one

Iston POV

We spend the next few weeks rebuilding the city of Minas Tirith and sending out orcs raids. It's oddly simple compared to everything we've been facing for the past few months. I spend most of my time as close to my friends and brothers as possible.

I also start to teach Éothain how to use a sword. Sometimes Aragorn joins in on the lessons too. One day, I stumble upon Éothain teaching the other boys his age the things I've taught him and my heart swells.

I'm not surprised when the elves arrive first for the coronation. Thranduil and a small band of Mirkwood elves are the first and then, not two days later, my father arrives. A week later, the dwarf lords come and the streets of the city teem with men, elves, and dwarves for the first time in history.

***

Aragorn POV

Iston and I stand on the outlook looking over Minas tirith.

"It's quite impressive." He says looking down at the people below. "To see so many come together."

"I never thought I'd see the day where elves and dwarves even consented to be in the same city as each other." I say with a smile.

I'm nervous. I know I shouldn't be.

"Where will you go now that this is all over?" I ask and he gives me a confused look.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean... stay here, with me, in Gondor. Please."

This is not going as smoothly as I had hoped. I know it may sound desperate, and in a way it is. He's not the only good thing in my life but in it all, he is the best thing in my life. I do not doubt that he loves me, but I still question his willingness to stay here. I know how important his family is to him and I know he might want to go back to his life of traveling. I've been thinking about this since the moment I found out he loved me too.

"Aragorn." He looks at me softly. "Are you asking me to marry you?"

"Only if you want me to." I respond, looking into his eyes.

"I wouldn't dream of stopping you."

I take both of his hands in mine and kneel in front of him.

"Iston, Elvion Celevonor, son of Elrond of Rivendell, Lightbringer of Imladris Karningul and Lorien," He shakes his head smiling as I say his full name "Iston. I never expected for one moment that I would meet you on this journey but we have been through this all together. And there is nothing in this word that I want more than to continue to go through life together. I love you with every part of who I am. Will you marry me?"

He kneels in front of me so our eyes meet.

"Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir of Isildur, king of Gondor. Estel. We have been to hell and back together. I love you with my soul, the stars, the ground beneath our feet. I would be honored to continue on in this life with you. Nothing in this world would bring me more joy than to marry you." He says with certainty.

I look into his eyes and I'm suddenly filled with so much peace. Because this moment is real and that we made it this far. And that we will continue on together. I stand, still holding his hands, and he rises with me. I pull him into a kiss by his waist. His hands clasp behind my head as he kisses back. I hear cheering and we pull away to look around.

Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Sam, Gandalf, Legolas, Eomer, Gimli, and Elrond watch us from a distance across the courtyard. Which is too many people considering that I only told Elrond and Legolas of my plan to propose today. Merry and Pippin cheer loudly. Gimli jumps in excitement. The rest clap.