thirteen

Aragorn POV

We descend to the armory, where we find Legolas and Gimli. Legolas turns to me. 

"We have trusted you this far. You have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair." Legolas apologizes.

"U-moe edaved, Legolas. (There is nothing to forgive, Legolas.)" I say back and he pats me on the shoulder.

"We had time, I'd get this adjusted." Gimli mutters, pulling on a man sized chainmail shirt. "It's a little tight across the chest."

He looks ridiculous and I grin. Iston hands me my sword and a look goes between us. Legolas watches the exchange and his eyes widen.

"No." He says and can only assume, as usual, he knows too much about the happenings between me and Iston.

"Cin ask baw questions, so im will on- cin baw answers (You ask no questions, so I will give you no answers)." Iston responds. Legolas looks at me and I shrug my shoulders. He definitely knows, and I wish he would mind his own business.

"What am I missing?" Gimli demands. "I'm always missing something when you speak elvish."

"I'll tell you later." Legolas says. "If I can manage to say the words."

Iston glares at him but Legolas grins at me. Suddenly they hear a horn sounding.

"That is no Orc horn." Legolas runs from the room and we follow after him. Men look down from the walls.

"Send for the king. Open the gate!" Someone yells.

"Open up the gate!" Someone echoes.

The gates creak open and a large host of elves march in. They are all dressed in identical armor and carry beautiful bows. Theoden walks down the steps past us and towards them. Two elves step forward, dressed in gold armor.

"How is this possible?" The king asks them.

"We bring word from our father, Elrond of Rivendell." One of the elfs says.

"An alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together." The other says. "We come to honor that allegiance."

Elvion darts out from behind me and down the steps and joy crosses the faces of the elves leading the army. Elladan and Elrohir greet their younger brother in rapid elvish and embraces. All three of them mirror each other. Elvion looks only slightly different from his twin brothers. I make my own way down the steps.

"You are most welcome." I say in greeting. I know them both, we met before when I served as a ranger.

"Aragorn, it is an honor to meet again." Elladan says with a smile. Legolas joins us and hugs both of the twins as well. Elrohir looks out at the crowd of men.

"We are proud to fight alongside Men once more." He announces and a cheer goes up.

***

The three brothers and I walk quickly up the rank of elves.

"I see you have taken up our mothers staff." Ellandan says to his younger brother.

"Yes. It was time." Iston says with a nod.

"It is as she wanted." Elrohir says with a smile. "You bear it well."

The three of them speak as if they live in each other's heads. I miss half of the conversation because I do not understand the looks that go between them.

"I cannot believe your army got here in time." Elvion looks out on the rows of armed elves.

"It is not our army." Ellandan looks at his brother "They are yours to command."