eleven

Iston POV

The procession down to the tombs is somber. The voice of Eowyn fills the air as we make our way towards where all the kings of Rohan have been laid to rest. Theodred, like Eomer, was someone I watched grow. A painful feeling sits in my chest and as I watch Theoden ahead of me, I can't imagine the pain he must feel.

"Simbelmyne. Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebears." Theoden says, holding a flower before him. "Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas, these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house."

"Theodred's death was not of your making." I say quietly, trying to offer some comfort.

"No parent should have to bury their child." He answers and begins to sob, falling to the ground.

"He was strong in life. His spirit will find its way to the halls of your fathers." Gandalf says with confidence.

Theoden continues to cry and Gandalf and I turn away from him to leave him to mourn in peace. As we look out over the fields, I see a horse making its way towards us with two children on its back. I watch as one of the children slides off the horse and onto the ground.

I run forwards with Gandalf next to me. He scoops the boy up off the ground and I grab the reins of the horse. A small girl sits alone on it, looking down at us in surprise and shock. She looks as if she might fall over too and she bounces as the horse walks forward. I swing myself up into the saddle behind her, holding her so she doesn't fall.

Gandalf and I make our way back up to the hall of Edoras and we see Theoden has left his son's resting place to come back as well. I dismount the horse and lift the girl down to the ground. She seems too afraid to say anything, but clings to my hand as I walk forward. I wonder what they saw.

Over a plate of stew and bread, the boy is able to tell us of the coming army and their basic movements through the land. Theoden's brow is furrowed in concentration.

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree." Eowyn says, looking very upset. She and I sit at the table with both children. Freda, which is the little girl's name, doesn't seem to want me to go anywhere without her.

"Where is Mama." She whispers and Eowyn tucks a blanket around Freda. Her brother, Éothain, seems to understand more of what's going on and he listens to every word of our conversation.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash." Gandalf states, looking at Theoden. "All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight."

"You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king." I say, thinking back to our meeting on the plains.

"They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Eomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not." Aragorn says, staring at the King.

"When last I looked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan." Theoden says, shooting him a look.

"Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf asks.

Later, we stand outside the Golden Hall. Hama yells instructions to the townspeople.

"By order of the king the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep." He calls into the crowd. "Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need."