As she was wondering which flavor to pick, she felt someone come up beside her and turned to see Roman standing there with a smile.

"I can honestly say I didn't expect to see you in here," he teased. 

She took in the flour on his cheek and the blue apron he was wearing. "I was just taking a tour of the town and figured I'd grab a bite before I walk around for a bit. You work here?"

He nodded. "Just on the weekends. I retired from the orchard a few years back, but I missed baking for the store. With how much Dawson likes doing it, there's no need for me to help out over there that often."

Dawson was the one who did the baking? It surprised her to think of the strong, disagreeable man putting the time into a hobby as delicate as making pastries and cakes. She'd eaten the one she bought from the store, and it was delicious. Why had she assumed it had come from Kenzie's hands, or even Jack's?

"I assume you taught him what he knows?"

"I did. Lillie Mae taught the kids about apple trees and fertilizer, and I taught 'em how to put those apples to good use. Dawson really was the only one who ever held my same level of interest in it, though. Jack's all business, and Cliff and Kenzie never seemed too enamored with any of it." He turned back to the display case and pointed to a deep red cake with white icing covered in sugar crystals. "I'd recommend the red velvet, personally."

"I'll take it," she said with a smile.

"Perfect." He headed behind the counter and slid open the glass door, taking a minute to box up the slice before leading her over to the register. "So you're seeing more of Red View today?"

"Mm-hmm. It's a beautiful town. I figure I should enjoy it while I'm still here." And so I can avoid your son for a few hours.

"I bet Lillie Mae would love it if you paid her a visit," he said, punching numbers into the register. He used his other hand to point left, explaining, "Her bridal shop is just a block down."

He told her the total and she paid it happily, leaving a hefty tip in the jar on the counter. She was used to New York prices, and it seemed almost wrong to take the well-crafted cake for so little.

"You think so?" she asked, going back to the topic of Roman's wife. "I wouldn't want to interrupt, if she was working."

He waved off the worry. "I think she said she only had two appointments today, both closer to noon. She'd be happy for the company. She'll probably talk your ear off about dresses, though."

Layla laughed, accepting the striped paper bag that contained her boxed-up cake. "I won't mind." No, she could do with some pleasant, meaningless small talk about designers and silhouettes. She'd welcome it with open arms and try to let it distract her from the conversation with Dawson that was still rolling around in her mind.

"Well I'll see you again at dinner soon, or breakfast one of these days," Roman said as the opening door jingled to signal another customer. "Lillie and I like to visit a lot."

"I look forward to it." She meant that, too. Not just because their presence would make Dawson less likely to harass her with questions, but because she liked the couple. They were wholehearted and friendly, and it made her warm—if not a little jealous—to know that a pair so happy and in love could exist.

She headed back outside, holding the door for a group of parents and kids in birthday hats before heading off in the direction that Roman had pointed.

The stroll down the brick sidewalk, passing chatty families and letting the breeze roll over her skin, was the final ingredient towards helping her calm down. She couldn't stay agitated, even by the things Dawson had said, when the sweet summer air was soughing through the trees and the sun was making light dance on the pavement.