Chapter 15: Parting of Ways

Start from the beginning

I left them to their work and rested at the top of a hill that overlooked the area. From my spot I could see the construction underway and, if I focused my eyes on a spot, I could see the smiles and sweat of the people hard at work. However, when my eyes weren't focusing on a spot, they often drifted to the person that gave me company. Or rather, what remained of a person. Shizue's grave.

"I wonder if you'd mind if I made a grave beside you," I quietly said to myself, "Like you, she doesn't have a body to bury... Do you think I could sleep in peace then?"

Of course, there was no one there to answer my question. The dead can't speak. Perhaps that could be the answer, however. Death. Despite not feeling pain, unlike Rimuru, I don't have a skill that can regenerate body parts so I have to be careful to a degree. I doubt humans or dwarves could throw anything dangerous at me, but monsters are another story. For instance, if I fought Benimaru to the death, his [Hell Flare] would certainly leave me burnt, but with strength and speed alone I could defeat him. Rimuru was a different story. Fighting a monster like him would be my death.

"It's a good thing we're on the same side," I sighed. "Hopefully [Great Sage] can figure out what corruption is. But it'll probably be stuck working on Veldora for who knows how long... Erebus, I know I'm not talking to the wind."

My words were all that was needed for him to come out. From a shadowy vortex, he appeared and lowered his head apologetically, "Sorry for listening, I didn't want to bother you."

"You're no bother to me," I said, petting him on the head. "I know you want to follow me as well and if you want to, I won't stop you."

"Really?!" His tail wagged in excitement and his head lifted in joy. "Then I will follow where ever you good, F/N!"

"Glad to hear it," I spoke with a more somber tone. "Erebus... About the business with the Orc Disaster, what are your thoughts on it?"

He answered immediately, "I think you fought well against him! When I first saw your attack I thought it was an attack worthy of Veldora himself!"

"Okay, you can hold back on the flattery. I may sound sad but I don't need to be cheered up," I noted, though I was glad he liked [Striking Tempest].

"Right," He calmed down. "Well, I think it's for the best if we gathered information about Demon Lords while we're away. Each could prove to be a possible threat."

"Shouldn't you or one of the others know something about the Demon Lords? I mean, no offense, but it would make sense that the monsters of the Jura Forest to know more about the Demon Lords than the humans," I pointed out in interest.

"Not necessarily, claiming the title Demon Lord isn't done lightly, those that do are well noted by all. In fact, there are two with domains south of the Jura Forest, Frey and Carrion. More toward the East is Clayman and Milim," Erebus listed as though he knew those places.

"That list both impresses and worries me," I casually said. "Sounds to me like we don't need to ask about the Demon Lords though if you know that, how did you come by that knowledge?"

"After I developed [Shadow Wolves] I sent several to the perimeter of the forest and beyond to see how far they worked and what those who are close to the forest were up to. Regrettably, they were found and disposed of quickly before any useful information could be found. That's why I suggest asking around, in case there is any useful intel we're unaware of," Erebus answered, earning more pets.

"I wouldn't have any regrets, that's actually impressive that you were about to use your [Shadow Wolves] like that," I tried to cheer him up.

"Thank you," He continued. "Knowing this, can I ask where you'll be heading?"

"Well, I'm not insane enough to brush up against a Demon Lord yet. Since Kaijin is from Dwargon and they're open to monsters, I'll stop there and see what they have for work and go from there," I answered.

"Understood," Erebus said as I gestured him to lay next to me.

When I eventually returned to Kaijin, with Erebus following in the shadows, and he heard where I planned to go, Kaijin asked that I give him a moment and returned with a letter. His brother, a guard in Dwargon, should be able to help me get accustomed and make my stay easier. Putting on the armor that was slightly modified to fit better, a brown cloak covering it, and the freshly sharpened sword on my back, it was time to make my exit. At least, that's what I had planned.

As I left, believing that I had avoided anyone's notice, and made my way deeper into the forest heading north, I didn't realize that I had been followed by another person. Only when they spoke up did I even notice them. Turning around to face them I was met with Rimuru. The expression on his face once he removed the mask and the way he called me didn't sound as if he was trying to stop me, only asking for my attention for the moment.

"Usually when people leave they say goodbye first," Rimuru said, seemingly not surprised.

"No point in saying goodbyes when I plan to come back," I retorted, "Besides, we both know Rigurd would want to through a party and Shion would be in tears."

Rimuru laughed, "He already wants to throw one to welcome the orcs." He paused for a moment before speaking again, "That's only why you won't say goodbye, you can at least tell me why you're leaving."

I stared at him for a moment, contemplating the best answer I could give. Rimuru seemed to realize how troubled I really was with that question. How was I supposed to answer? That fate was drawing me away? Or that my thoughts were only peaceful when I thought of leaving for somewhere else? I didn't want to give any of those as answers, because I knew part of it was out of envy toward Rimuru. I was reincarnated into this world with more skills than anyone before, and they were practically useless compared to the two he had at the start.

Unexpectedly, Rimuru took the mask he had from Shizue and tossed it over to me, causing me to catch it. Knowing its importance to him, I commented, "Is this your way of making sure I come back?"

"It'll also help suppress your magicules, making you look human" Rimuru shrugged, "Or that's what [Great Sage] told me, I haven't had the chance to test that yet."

"Thanks," I said, putting it on. "I'm pretty sure it'll make me stand out more than I'd like."

"And that big sword on your back won't?" Rimuru retorted.

I turned my head to the sword and back to him, "Fair point."

"Stay safe out there, F/N," Rimuru said, turning into his slime form. "And try not to get exiled."

"I'd say you too, but you've already been exiled," I replied with a smirk.

Turning away from him, I continued my way through the forest, slowly building up speed until I found myself effortlessly speeding through the air. I stopped along the way to Dwargon, finding mindless monsters to fight against in order to test my swordsmanship, with the help of Erebus. To complete the journey experience we made camp and took turns resting through the night. I was able to sleep better, albeit only by a small amount. My dream brought me back to that place under the water that I floated in. Neither rising to the light surface, nor sinking further into the dark bottom. But when I gazed downward, my eyes trying to see deeper, I felt something similar to that of the monstrosities I fought. Corruption can't be dreamt away.