Chapter 4 - First steps

The preparation for the ball of the evening were at full swing when Lady Dansbury and Alina arrived at the estate.

"I cannot wait for Lady Whistledown's paper." Announced the countess while exiting the carriage.

"Lady Whistledown ? Was she one of the debutantes ?"

"Oh no, my dear ! Lady Whistledown write the best scandal sheets of the ton. She knows of every affairs, every scandals and everyone. You shall see very soon."

Lady Dansbury was right as, in the afternoon, papers were distributed around town without charges.

Alina opened the paper, delicately printed.

Dearest reader,

My name is Lady Wistledown, you do not know me and rest assured, you never shall. But be forewarned dear reader, I certainly know you.

Another season is upon us and it is time to place our bets.

Today is a most important day, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to her Majesty the Queen. May god have mercy on their soul. It is only the Queen's eye that matters today. A glimmer of displeasure, and a young's lady value plummets to unthinkable depths.

The young Miss Alina Wellesley certainly made an impression in front of the Queen today and this author shall not disagree with her Majesty for the young miss looked indeed like perfection itself. She is surely the incomparable of the season. She will certainly attract the eyes of many suitors for her accomplishment today and draw to herself the attention of the town.

However as I like to say, be careful for the brighter a lady shine, the faster she may burn.

Alina was stunned. She certainly did not think to have made such an impression and thoroughly did not enjoy the attention this women she did not know was porting to her. She had done nothing more than parading in a dress, it certainly was not an accomplishment and she already despised the attention this sheet of paper would draw upon herself. In a corner of her head, however, she wondered if the attention she was shown would be enough to discourage her father from giving her away to the Viscount.

The season's opening ball at Danbury house, is a most highly sought after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young lady might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful dismal condition known as "the spinster".

Alina huffed, the paper was humiliating towards the debutantes that had no choice whatsoever about there presence here. She had never understood how the Ton could could relish in society papers and scandal sheets, in gossip and affairs. Not many people had many choices in their lives and she found it sad that they were mocked upon it.

She stopped reading the paper and decided to get ready for the ball this evening, knowing that the shadow of Lady Whistledown will probably watch her every movements.

The ball had started. Lady Danbury was waiting Alina to escort her in the ball room. She only wished to stay in her room reading or writing but here she was, in a white and silver gown, sporting diamonds around her neck and ready to be led to the wolves.

When the two lady entered the room, almost all heads turned towards them. The staring was obvious and uncomfortable but Alina hold Lady Dansbury's arm and put on a battle face : a small smile and an open face. She scanned the room, hoping to find Eloise or Simon.

However, before she could try to look for them she found herself faced with a chest. The Viscount Bridgerton, stood in front of her, adorned in his most proper clothes.