Chapter 36

So I think I linked what Maniac is whistling in this chapter because I just love it so much

________________________________

Maniac slowly stepped from the hole in the wall, dark eyes flashing up and down the hallway as it closed behind her. One hand was clutched tightly around a sword, and the other was shoved deep into her pocket. Now that any chances of a threat had been eliminated, she glanced around in a more curious fashion and began whistling as she walked.

The sword dragged noisily on the floor next to her, the small scratch in the rug it made expanding and ripping into a chasm behind her. It roared and heaved as the floor tore itself apart, the merry tune being whistled just barely heard above the din.

It stopped at the end of the hall when she picked her sword up and paused to examine the damage she had caused. The floor was completely gone, a dark void taking it's place and dropping into nothingness. She nodded slightly and walked down the next hall, tapping her finger against the wall and moving on as a blossom of black void spiraled out from where she touched.

She knew the figure at the end of the hall was watching her. She also knew they wanted to talk. So, Maniac took her sweet time walking down the hall, whistling and poking at destruction.

"I must say, I'm a fan of your work." The figure at the end of the hall commented, once Maniac had arrived. Maniac stood idly, leaning against her sword.

"Oh, it's a specialty." She grinned. "Hello, Evil."

Evil inclined her head slightly. "You must be Cavet's fittingly named dark side, then. The similarities in appearance are shocking."

Maniac raised her left hand and wiggled the fingers. "Only difference."

Evil nodded. "Handy. Listen, as much as I do enjoy chatting, I am here for more of a business matter-" She cut off suddenly as the floor under slowly crept away, leaving her standing on a mere pillar of carpet suspended over nothing.

"Now, I think you listen to me." Maniac winked at Evil, who was staring at where the floor had been. "I don't like you Evil, I'm going to make that  nice and clear right up front. To be precise, I despise you. I want to dip my hands in your blood and smear in on like warpaint. So, before you start offering me deals or whatever it was you wanted to do, I think I'm going to turn you down and kill you first."

"That's rude. I don't even know your name yet." Evil pouted. Maniac grinned and shrugged.

"Dead people don't need to know things. Now, here comes the fun part! I seem to have taken on an impressive ability over atoms, have you noticed? It's quite fun. I can feel all of them, fizzing around like mad in everything I pass by. It is a little maddening. Everything comes at a price though, that's the fun part!" Maniac suddenly cut off from her rambling to tilt her head at Evil, staring at her through hooded eyes.

"I think you should be burned to death."

Evil stared back at her, arms crossed. "Try me."

"Ah, come on! You think it'll be hard? Give those already fizzing atoms a shake, and whoosh, baby! We got a fire burning!"

"I can make you a deal." Evil offered. Maniac held out both her hands, as if weighing something.

"Let's see. Burning you," She held up her left hand, "and making a deal with you." She held up her right hand. Slowly, she tilted them so that the left was far below the right. "Well, looks like burning you tips the scale. Shall we begin?"

"Wait," Evil spit "Fine. You don't want to make a deal, and you don't want to talk business. Let's talk destruction."

Maniac tilted her head back and forth and squinted at the ceiling. "Yeah, alright, I'm listening."

"You just want to destroy thing's, don't you? I need-" Maniac's eyes flashed dangerously, and Evil backtracked quickly. "There are plenty of things around here in need of destruction. I could point them out, maybe give you some creative tips, show you the best people to go after you know. Lot of dirty work around here that nobody feels like doing."

"Okay." Maniac nodded, and Evil frowned.

"Wait, seriously? Just, okay? Just like that? You wanted to burn me a second ago."

The ground slowly crept back to Evil's feet.

"Hey, don't get me wrong. I am all still for slitting your throat and ripping the flesh from your face. I just figure it can wait."

Evil smiled and stepped out onto the solid ground, extending a hand towards Maniac. "I think I like you, nameless Cavet doppelganger."

Maniac took her hand and shook it. "And I loathe you, Evil. Where shall I begin?"