Obsession Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

I wished that I had something of Lily's to keep with me at all times - anything that would remind me of her. It was hard being away from her now, especially since I knew for certain that if everything was as normal - like it had been just yesterday, I would be over at hers now; it was dark outside. It was hard to fathom that fact as it felt like I had walked in through my front door just a few minutes ago - not several hours.

Shirtless and barefoot, I went out of my room, and the house, to the backyard. Torches were lit all around the yard, small spots of light and comfort in the black night.

The lawn was so crowded that one could hardly get from A to B without someone going to the ground at one point or another: you had to push your way through, at moments using your elbows.

I joined my family on the porch. Bess and Cara stood holding one twin each. Sammie's and Kenny's faces of confusion and worry mirrored each other: they didn't understand what was going on around them, but they knew to keep still and silent for once. Frank stood beside Bess, holding onto the hand that wasn't carrying Kenny. Frank was to go to the safehouse, since he wasn't a shifter and couldn't fight as one, even though he was as strong as a bear. He'd fought over it with Bess, and she had won, but comforted him with the fact that he at least could fight if - God forbid - the Rogues went after the safehouse after all.

I missed Lily. I wished that I could hold her for a while before going out to fight. I wished that I could see her face, kiss her lips and inhale her wonderful scent. I wished that I could tell her that I loved her. Because I did. And she didn't know it.

The flames of the torches flickered as a strong wind blew in over the yard. When it had passed, the Alpha started talking, immediately gaining everyone's undivided attention.

"Friends", he said. "Family." He looked out over the crowd of shifters and human mates that stood in front of us. "We gather here tonight, to fight for what is ours, to fight against those who threatens us and our loved ones. To protect our land and our home, to protect our people!" He paused, taking a deep breath in the death-silence that followed, and with a serious a face as I had ever seen on him, he continued: "The Rogues are coming for us, and we intend to strike before they can. Tonight, we drive them off and make them regret ever even thinking of taking our family and our land from us!" The crowd stirred a little. Everyone had known something was to happen - but now it was more real than it had been two minutes earlier. Young men and women who had stood relaxed and joked with their friends about the upcoming fight, now stood straight and listened intently on every word spoken by my father. "We will win", he said, "But we will also lose." This was followed by worried glances around the crowd. Who was not going to be with us when morning came?

My father paced a few steps forward. His short speech was over - now was the time for instructions and orders.

"Those of you who cannot, or want not fight, turn to Ellen and Sophie", he said, gesturing towards the Luna and Omega, that stood by their mates' sides. "Those of you who want - and can - fight, turn to Gary, or my son, Cain. They will divide you into groups and explain further." He gave one last, long and hard stare out at his pack, and nodded shortly, as a dismiss. "May good be with you all", he finished, and the crowd answered, as was the custom:

"So mote it be."

And then, suddenly, everyone were moving at once, trying to get to where they should be. Tommy and I followed Gary off the porch and over to a smaller upraised piece of ground, where we could see everyone of those that were to fight. Gary briefed everyone in on the plan, and then started to divide everyone into squads of fighters and assigned them to their leaders. I spotted Danny among the men, and frowned. I walked up to him.