Chapter 5: The Azur Lane

En başından başla

"O-Oh, of course!" Wales replied. "We can use my main office. It's air-conditioned so we should all be fine."

"Thank you." Oregon visibly sighed in relief. "Lead on."

The group left the docks and headed toward the main part of the base, which was like a town. All kinds of ships were seen, from little destroyers playing tag to cruisers relaxing on the beach, to capital ships idly chatting at tables.

This is nothing like my world, Oregon thought. I can get used to this.

"This place is incredible," he said aloud. "I haven't seen anything like this before."

"Impressed? This base was recently constructed, but it is still amazing nonetheless!" A proud Cleveland replied.

Wales nodded. "Indeed. A forward base like this doesn't deserve to be this pretty, but it is."

Oregon was quiet for the rest of the walk, silently taking in the sights and sounds before him.

At last the group arrived at the base headquarters, a large British-style structure. But it wasn't just a headquarters, as it was large enough to contain several spacious living quarters for high-ranking ships, such as Wales.

"We have arrived," Wales announced.

Entering the building only revealed more British fanciness.

Wales led them to her office, which was as large as a good-sized living room and generously furnished. Several couches were arrayed in a square around a central table, clearly a place for discussion.

Oregon removed his cape and draped it over his arm. With his other hand he took off his hat.

"Would any of you like a drink of any kind?" Wales asked, walking over to a rather large glass cabinet conspicuously stocked with various kinds of liquor.

"I'll have whiskey," Enterprise replied.

"I'll have some ginger ale," said Cleveland.

"I shall be making some tea," said Belfast.

"I'd like some beer," said Hornet. "I need some after what I've been through recently."

"You got any hard cider?" Oregon asked, much to the others' interest.

"Hard cider? I'm not sure what that is," Wales replied.

"It's like normal apple cider but with a small amount of alcohol and carbonization. Basically beer but made from apples instead of hops," Oregon explained.

"Let me see..." Wales searched through the refrigerated cabinet. "Ah! I just so happen to have a bottle of hard cider. Here." She handed him the bottle. To Oregon's satisfaction the label read:

 To Oregon's satisfaction the label read:

"Ah, Angry Orchard. Whoever supplied this has good taste," Oregon remarked.

Wales got the others their drinks.

"What will you be having?" Oregon asked.

To everyone's surprise but his, Wales held up a bottle.

Wales poured several ounces into a large glass tumbler with ice and topped it off with water

"You have good taste," Oregon chuckled. "Reminds me of a very famous person back in my world."

"Was this person a Former Naval Person?" Wales inquired.

"The one and the same," Oregon replied with a grin.

They both shared a good chuckle while the other shipgirls were left confused.

"What are they talking about?" Hornet whispered to Enterprise, who simply shrugged.

The group sat in silence for a few moments, sipping at their drinks.

Oregon finished his bottle first and placed it firmly on the table. "Now, I reckon you want to know more about me."

"Well, yes. I wasn't quite ready, but if you want to begin, you can," Wales replied.

"If you've got questions, then it might be better if they wait until after my story. But you might want to get settled and enjoy your drinks, since my story is a long one."

Oregon's expression changed to that of a person who seems to be looking far away, and his tone was similar to an aged stoyteller.

"A tale that encompasses multiple decades, multiple oceans, multiple wars. A tale that travels from the ends of the Pacific to the Eastern Seaboard. A tale of love and family. A tale of war and death. This...is a bulldog's legacy."