Chapter 4: Convenient Timing

In the world of Azur Lane, a battle is in progress.

One Eagle Union ship is fighting a losing battle for her life against two Sakura Empire ships.

A lone Hornet versus Zuikaku and Shoukaku. And Hornet is losing her strength.

"I don't like being completely on the defensive, you know!" she shouted as she dodged an almost continuous hail of gunfire and planes.

Unfortunately Hornet could not dodge one shell, which sent her spinning onto the water's surface. Her flight deck had been damaged beyond use, and at this point her strength was exhausted.

Even worse, her hat was knocked off after having multiple holes shot in it.

Her breath knocked out of her, Hornet could do little but softly gasp for breath and blink in the bright sun as Zuikaku walked up to her, katana drawn.

"At last I have the mighty Hornet. Sister of the Grey Ghost!" She said proudly. Then her expression changed to a mixture of amusement and disgust.

"Look at you. Nothing like your sister. Not even like...Yorktown."

Hornet glared at this direct and sinister assault on her personal pride and on her line's legacy, but was forced to stay still as Zuikaku pointed her katana at the downed carrier.

"To me, its not much, but still...finishing the third member of the famed Yorktown class is something I'm going to relish.

"Your end is here, far away from your big sister while your friends watch helplessly." The bloodlust was almost audible in Zuikaku's tone. Her own sister, Shoukaku, stared a little fearfully, never hearing Zui speak like this before.

Zuikaku raised her katana for the final killing blow. Hornet closed her eyes one last time.

"I'm sorry...sisters..." She whispered to herself, a tear forming in her eyes.

The katana swung down, but it never reached its victim. It was blocked by an arm wielding a...frying pan?

A shocked Zuikaku and a confused Hornet looked at the owner of the arm and pan, which turned out to be a boy who appeared to be not much older than themselves but with unusual-looking riggings.

On each side there was a large turret with two high-caliber guns. Farther back on each thick supporting arm were two smaller turrets, which resembled smaller versions of his main guns but had high-angle capabilities.  Scattered around his riggings were numerous small-caliber guns, from 6-pounders to machine guns.

On his back a uniquely designed mast rose from the bridge of his riggings. At its peak floated a striped flag with the upper left corner a blue field with white stars.

Near his waist, almost invisible, were two torpedo launchers, each with 5 tubes.

He wore a navy blue officer's uniform with gold trim and medals adorning it. A matching broad-brimmed naval hat with gold trim and a golden design on its broad front shaded his eyes. A moderate-length, flowing cape hung from his shoulders, with large golden designs adorning each side.

On his left arm he bore a colorful shield: