Adrien + Marinette FLUFF MUHAHAHAHA CLEAN YOUR MINDS (not my story)

Start from the beginning

"How about being at the same party at the same time. As a waitress."

Alya swore under her breath and put the magazine down. "Mayor Bourgeois' Christmas Gala?"

Marinette nodded. "The article said they both confirmed they will be attending. I'll get a front-row seat to my soulmate's proposal to someone else. Lucky me."

"Then don't go," she said, sitting down beside Marinette. "I'll go in your place."

Marinette couldn't let her do that. Nino was going to propose tonight, so Alya couldn't be anywhere but with him. "You're spending your first Christmas with Nino's family. I'm not standing in the way of that."

"I can spend New Year Day with them."

"You're going to the French Alps with your family that weekend. Don't try to weasel out of it. Your mom has been planning that trip for months. Nora's flying in specifically for it."

"I'm not trying to weasel out. I'm trying to help you, M."

"And I appreciate it, but I'm not making you go instead of me."

"What about your father?"

"The doctor said he shouldn't be getting up for at least another week or his leg might not heal properly and he'll end up with a prospect of a surgery which we're trying to avoid."

"Then, I'm sure Rose or Juleka wouldn't mind stepping in."

"No." Marinette sat up on her bed. "They have plans, and I'm not going to ruin them. I'll just have to grow a pair and face him like the strong, independent woman I am. Or rather go help Maman and avoid him at all cost. He's not even going to recognize me anyway. I didn't. Not until I saw that photo."

"That's true. I doubt he remembers much about you. You were babies when you met, so just stay away from him and keep your hands covered. That way even if you accidentally touch he won't see it. A pair of gloves perhaps?"

"Mayor has uniforms for all the servers, even those coming in with the caterers, so no gloves for me. But as long as I do my job and pretend like I'm not in the same room with my soulmate who clearly didn't think me worthy enough to search for and instead decided to date this very famous, very influential, extremely rich girl from his own circle, I should be fine."

"I'm so sorry, M." Alya wrapped her arms around Marinette, bringing her into her chest for a cuddle. "Men are stupid. Some more than the others. Especially the rich and spoiled ones."

Marinette scoffed bitterly. "Don't I know it. I got plenty of examples from being in the same class as Chloe Bourgeois for years."

"Isn't Adrien Chloe's friend?"

"I think so. I was hoping Adrien wasn't like her. Clearly, that isn't the case."

"You'll get over him soon, and we'll find you a nice, handsome, smart man who will cherish and love you for who you are."

"Soulmates are so last century anyway, right?" Marinette swallowed back the knot in her throat. No matter how much she tried to convince herself, this hurt. "I'm sure he doesn't even remember meeting me. We were five. Who would be holding on to a memory of a random girl in Milan? And even if he did remember me, he probably thinks I live there. I thought my soulmate lived in Milan until he decided to show off his stupid soulmate mark to the whole world. Who does that, anyway? Those are supposed to be one of the most intimate of details of one's life. You don't just show it to everyone, and certainly not to the whole world while announcing your engagement to someone else."

Her eyes fell to her hand where, invisible to everyone but her, an image of a black cat lay, a mark Adrien Agreste left there more than a decade ago with his first kiss to her skin. Just like a mark of a ladybug appeared on his chest when her lips touched it upon his request. He said he wanted to keep her close to his heart, so it would be easier for him to find her.