Chapter 13: Missing

Start from the beginning

A grimace tore across her face, "I hate it when you call me that, I'm seventeen..."

"You act like you're seven. You can have your breakfast and then we'll talk."

"The truth is, I don't want to. Isn't it obvious?" She scoffed, "I already know what you want to say."

"I wasn't asking", he told her smugly, "good for you if you already know what I'm going to say, maybe that'll make the conversation a little easier. And I'm going to sit here and wait until you're done eating and I've said everything I came here to say."

Aimee huffed. She went back to sit on the armchair with her arms crossed and a bitter look on her face.
"Go ahead then, just spit it all out. Let's talk."

Kris shook his head, "and let your breakfast grow cold? Nope."

"Right now, I really don't mind", she replied with a shrug.

Just then Kris' phone rang. He immediately took it out from his pocket to end the call when he saw it was an unfamiliar number calling.
He hesitated answering the call.

"Ugh, seriously Dad?" Aimee rolled her eyes, "pick your phone. I don't care."

"It'll be brief, I promise."
Kris stood up and started walking towards the door as he finally answered the call.

The caller on the other end was female and she sounded frantic.

"Hi Kris, sorry for calling this early. It's Mira."

"Mira?" He was now standing outside Aimee's room so he slammed the door shut, "hi, um, no, it's totally fine. H-how are you?"

He knew he sounded awkward. He also knew something was up.

"Not so good. I've had a hard time reaching Tessara, um, did she drop by your place last evening?"

"Yes, yes she did", he replied, "we-we, uh...we spoke briefly and then she left."

"I, uh, I just found out she hasn't returned home since then. D-do you by any chance know where could be?"

He could sense the worry in her voice and suddenly he began to feel the same way.

"Did she tell you if she was going somewhere?" She asked again.

"N-No, she just left. Have you tried calling her?"

"Severally. None of my calls are going through", Mira sighed, "this is so unlike her, I don't even know what to do."

"Um", Kris wiped his already sweaty brow. He said the first thing that came to his mind, "maybe you could come over? We can search for her together or find some way to reach her. Did you, um, did you go to the police?"

"No, no, no, no...I don't want to think she's missing. I'll be over in a few minutes."

The call ended after that.

There was a strange feeling pulsating through Kris' entire being.
To say he was worried was an understatement.
Anxiety gripped every bone in his body.
Where the hell could Tessara be? And why did it have to be after she left his house?
He moaned and covered his face with his palm.

The door of Aimee's room squeaked.

Kris turned to see his daughter standing in the doorway.
He scoffed.

"What have I told you about eavesdropping?"

"Don't tell me you're seriously going to look for that...woman."
Every word came out of her mouth with disgust.

"She has a name. And yes, I'm going to look for her because I feel responsible."

"No, no fucking way. I see what's going on here dad, I—"

"You will not speak to me in such a manner Aimee Mae!" Kris yelled, "are you really such a spoiled brat?!"

"I don't care what you think of me right now dad, you know what? Go ahead and call me names but if you're going to let that desperate woman trap you in her stupid games, that's on you."

Kris stared at his daughter in disbelief. They were both talking at the top of their voices.

"You have no idea what you're talking about."

"No, you're the one who isn't seeing what's going on."

Kris exhaled loudly. He was completely annoyed but he didn't want to lash at his daughter in fury.
"I'm not having this conversation with you even a second longer! So shut your mouth and get back into your room, I'm going to give you a piece of my mind when I get back."

"It's what you've been wanting to say all this while isn't it?" Aimee chewed her lower lips, "if you wanna talk about my attitude and shit, I don't see anything wrong with detesting the wrong people."

"Now I know you were only pretending last night", he fumed, " we'll talk when I get back but just know...you're grounded."