Twenty-Three

I was sitting on the couch with Nate standing by the window. He hung up the phone just as Chuck walked out of the kitchen. "Was that Diana?" Chuck asked as Nate turned to look at us.

"Yeah, looking for her book. I played it clueless." Nate stated.

"You're good at that." I heard Blair say walking in with Sebastian behind her.

"Did you bring it?" I asked, looking back at her.

"Ask and you shall receive." Blair handed me the cipher and I grabbed the book off the coffee table.

"You're the best."

"I know." Blair smiled and they sat on the couch.

"What is that?" Chuck asked, looking over my shoulder.

"It's my cipher slide. Don't you have one?" Blair asked.

"Honey, normal people don't have stuff like that." Sebastian stated.

"There was a brief period in the third grade where I suspected my mother was reading my diary, and measures had to be taken." Blair explained.

"And every code she learned, she taught me." I stated. I didn't wanna learn them, but I made the mistake of asking why she was writing in shapes. "This is a Vigenere code. It's not unbreakable, but it can take a long time, especially without software." I explained.

"We don't have a long time." Chuck stated and I sighed.

"Maybe she used something simpler for dates and times. Let me look at the calendar." I flipped through the book, finding something interesting. "On the first Saturday of every month at 9:00 P. M., there's an appointment made up of 14 or 15 letters and they're each different, but if you crack those, you can get the rest. And look-- this month's appointment is tonight."

"And we know who she was with during some of those Saturdays." Chuck pointed out and I sighed.

"Oh great, our plan rests on the shoulders of Nate's memory." I stated.

"I'm right here." Nate stated like I forgot he was standing there. It hasn't changed a thing.

Lola showed up with Lola and we were spending ten minutes trying to get Nate to remember anything of his Saturdays with Diana. I think this is the hardest thing I've ever done. I walked out of the kitchen with a glass of water. "Nathaniel, you must remember something Diana was doing that was unusual on those Saturdays. Besides you, of course." Chuck stated, sitting on the couch.

"Guys, I'm looking!" Nate stated, looking at his phone and Lola took his phone.

"Gym. Gym. Bangs trimmed. Gym." Lola read off and I rolled my eyes.

"Look, Diana and I barely spent any time outside of the office. We just never went on any real dates. And we just were working and you know..." Nate stopped and I think we all know what he means.

"O-okay. I think that's my excuse to leave. I promise I'll keep searching till I find the little black key to Diana's book." Serena said before leaving. I didn't even know she was doing that, but it will be really helpful.

I went over to grab the book off the table where I left it, but it was gone. "Oh, my God. The book is gone." I stated and Lola stood up running out.

"Serena!" Lola shouted and I followed her back.

Lola stopped the doors from shutting and Serena sighed. "You have some serious explaining to do." I stated and Serena came back into the living still holding the book. "I can't believe you'd go behind our backs like this." I stated, crossing my arms.