Thirteen

I made it back home after some last preparations and everyone was there having drinks and eating some snacks. "Hey, she's here: The princess bride." My dad called out and I smiled.

Everyone was looking at me and the first thing that I felt was panic. "Oh, you're back early." One of Louis' assistants walked over to me. "Well, there are several matters to attend to. Uh, first off, CNN is asking if you privately wish to be called 'princess' or 'Mrs. Grimaldi'."

"I'm sorry. I just, uh, need my best friends for a moment." I stated.

"Go right ahead, Mrs. Grimaldi."

I walked back to my bedroom with Serena and Blair right behind me. We went into my bedroom. "Mrs. Grimaldi? What is going on? Is this happening?" I asked, laying down on my bed.

"Well, it better be. Otherwise, all those commemorative plates are for nothing." Serena stated.

"Oh, God. I'm gonna be married." I took a deep breath in trying to calm the pounding in my chest. "It's gonna be okay. It's gonna be more than okay. It's gonna be the best day of my life." I sat up and Blair walked over shutting the door.

"Are you trying to convince us or yourself?" Blair asked.

"I just...I just feel a little...."

"Lena, what is going on?" Blair asked, standing with Serena. "You usually tell us everything. The only time you don't is when you know it's something we will worry about."

I shook my head. "It's nothing."

"So there is an 'it'?" Serena asked.

I let out a deep breath and they both sat down on each side of the bed. "After I lost the baby, Louis found the paternity test." I stated.

"You didn't destroy it?" Blair asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know why I didn't. Louis talked to his mother and realized that marrying was his best option. So we agreed to a no-love marriage. Contract and appearances only."

"And you agreed to that?" Serena asked.

"I knew I couldn't be with Chuck. I didn't care about anything else. I knew I would be miserable either way."

"So, change your mind." Blair stated.

"It's not that easy. I was depressed. So after we talked terms, I signed a contract. If I don't marry him, my mother will lose everything, and since my parents are married again-"

"They could both be liable." Serena filled in the blank and I just nodded.

"My lawyer says I got screwed. Well, he says it nicer."

"Have you talked to your parents?" Blair asked.

I shook my head. "I can't. I screwed up, but at least I'll be a princess." I stood up from the bed.

"Lena." Serena said and I turned around.

"There's not a way out. I'll just have to handle it, deal with it." I went over to the door before stopping again to look at them. "And you guys know nothing." I put a smile on and walked out of the room back to everyone waiting for me.

~~~

It was time for there to be a wedding. It could be worse. I could be marrying someone who isn't a prince. Blair, Serena, and I were all doing the finishing touches in a room on our own. It's the only time we've been alone since I dropped the contract bomb. "In just three hours, everything is going to change. Maybe not just for me." I stated, looking at Serena from my own mirror. "I saw you with Humphrey this morning. So that fake connection sparked a real one?"