"I'll be right by your side, you're safe with me." He replied, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. They descended the ladder and rejoined with Eve on the floor below. Taking a closer look at the tank, they saw rusting tools surrounding the outside of it. Cables ran from the tools into what looked to be a reservoir of some sort. 

"These look like torture devices." Kaya observed, eyeing the tools. 

"They were used to tear apart flesh." Eve replied nonchalantly, as though she saw these things everyday, which caused Logan to look at her suspiciously.   

"You've seen these before?" he asked, raising his eyebrow in question.

Eve shrugged, walking around the other tank in the room. "I've read about them. They were used to put that adamantium in you, if that's what you're going for."

"Could have started with that." Kaya muttered.

Eve flashed her a smirk. "I'm not here to hold your hand through this little life journey of yours. I have my own mission, one that just happens to coincide with yours, so I'm here to help." she waved her hands out, as if saying what they saw was what they got. 

Logan could feel the anger rising within him, but he didn't want to add fuel to the flame. He hated working with Eve as much as Kaya, but at this point they didn't  have much of a choice. "If your mission does anything to bring Kaya harm, I will gut you." he growled, staring Eve down.

She was unfazed by Logan's sudden threat, "Oh shush, I'm smarter than attempting to harm you or your precocious girlfriend." 

"How can I not remember the pain?" Kaya whispered, soft enough Eve wouldn't be able to hear her, but Logan heard her perfectly clear. Her hands brushed over the tools, the look of dread clearly on her face. "I remember his name. I remember that he put adamantium in me." she took in a deep breath. "But I don't remember the pain, and surely this had to be painful?"

Logan walked over to where she stood, taking her hands off the tools and wrapping her in an embrace. "If it was painful, perhaps it is for the best that we don't remember." He smoothed his hand over the top of her head, meeting her eyes. She nodded before stepping away from his embrace, to continue exploring the room.

Not much was left from what he could tell. The machines were smashed, paper was scattered everywhere but due to water damage was pretty much unreadable. Hallways that lead out of the room were caved in with ruble, cutting off any access to the rest of the facility. 

This room was all they had to go on, and it didn't leave behind much.

"Does any of this look familiar to you Kaya?" Eve asked from where she leaned against a wall.

She shook her head. "I was in a cage and blindfolded most of the time. The equipment is here, so surely this had to have been the place?" Kaya let out an aggravated sigh. "I remember bits and pieces of what they talked about, how I was the first try on a mutant that could change. At the time, I didn't know what they were going to try on me, but they mentioned how I had the same healing abilities as Weapon X."

"Which I am guessing is me," Logan mused, crossing his arms over his chest as he thought about what Kaya had said. "Seeing how we both have healing capabilities. Haven't met anyone else besides you that shares that, and adamantium." Logan watched as Kaya concentrated on whatever it was she was thinking, before a look of realization spread across her face. 

"Nevada." Kaya said with such excitement, Logan thought she was going to combust. "I remember when he was making small talk with someone else, I'm assuming a guard, he said he was originally from Nevada and couldn't wait to get back."

"I knew you could be smart." Eve smirked, causing Logan to glare at her.

Kaya ignored her. "I mean, it's not much but it might be something? If Stryker obviously isn't doing his experiments here, he could be back home."

Logan shrugged. "It's worth a shot. If Stryker knows anything about mutants though, he's probably heavily guarded, which means we'll have to be careful."

Eve nodded. "Maybe your Xavier friend could help?"

Logan shook his head. "Couldn't find him the first time I asked the professor to. Which means, he's probably packing some shit that prevents the Professor from being able to use Cerebro on him."

"Which, you know, is our typical luck." Kaya replied grimly. 

"Well, it looks like we are off to Nevada." 

*    *    *    *    *

Authors Note: First I'd like to say I am sorry it has taken me so so long to get this story updated. I have been in a MASSIVE writer's block hole for the past few years. In all honesty, I was in a deep depression from an abusive relationship (That I am now 5 years free from!) and had lost all motivation to write. I am still healing, it was a very traumatic event in my life, but my motivation to write is slowly, but surely, coming back to me. I am hoping that as time goes on and I force myself to write more, that it will come a little bit easier to me. 

This was my attempt at forcing myself to write, hoping that it gets me back in the groove.

I know how I want this story to end, it's just getting to that point that is proving to be difficult.

So I am sorry if this chapter and the next few are a little rocky, I will eventually go back and fix them, but I wanted to get something out there for people who have been so patiently waiting.

I haven't forgotten about this story one bit!