I hand Joe the scissors and he hands me the clippers on the vanity in front of him. We've developed a neat routine with this. He sometimes comes over on Saturdays, just like today, and I help him cut his hair. He's always got an excuse for why he has allowed it to grow out, and it's either that he hasn't quite made it to the salon he supposedly goes to, his hairdresser that supposedly typically does his hair is out, or...well, no that's it. I'm the one who dislikes his shaggy hair and has him sit down so I can cut it.

I don't mind the task; in fact I like it. These moments between us are nice. Joe is a great friend and I like having him around like this. He always comes in to talk to the kids and then stays after. We all have dinner together when time permits, and it's nice to have him around.

"Would you ever remarry, Grace?"

I look up in surprise, not expecting the question. He's looking at me in the reflection of the mirror, a curious expression on his face.

"Remarry?" I echo.

"Mm-hm," he confirms, and I blink, my mouth turning. I haven't given it much thought in a while.

"Maybe. I don't know," I answer honestly. "Would you?"

"I've wondered for some time, and I think I would."

Now that surprises me. He smiles gently. "I'm not saying I'd rush into it; I'm just not opposed to finding love again in the future. I don't know when that would be or with who, but I'd be open to it." I nod slowly at his words.

"Have you ever thought . . ." I hesitate to ask but it's something that has come into my mind several times. "That it might be like you're betraying Sherry by doing that?"

"That thought has danced around in my mind to be honest. But I also know that Sherry wouldn't have been opposed to it."

"Oh," I murmur.

"Is that what's stopping you?" he asks.

"Yes and no. Yes because I still have that thought even though it's been nine years now, although I know Lance wouldn't have wanted me to prevent myself from loving a man again."

"But no because . . . ?"

"I've got kids," I say with a shrug. "If I was even wanting to date again, much less remarry, I would have a lot more to think about," I say, and he nods after a moment. We leave the conversation there and I finish shaving the back and sides of his head, leaving him probably half an inch there while the front is a few inches long. It's not a fade like Ty gets, but just a clean cut that suits Joe well.

He removes the towel and stands, shaking the hair in it in the garbage and going to grab a broom and dustpan from the closet. I intercept him, already expecting that. He always wants to help me in some kind of way. He grins.

"I was trying to be quicker this time," he says.

"Still too slow, Joe," I say, knocking on his sturdy chest with the back of my hand. He chuckles. I wanted to cut his hair, so I'll clean up. Besides, I've still got Austin's hair to do.

"Alright, I'll accept defeat once more, Grace." He gives me a side hug, a gentleman as always. He always has these warm hugs that make you want it to linger for a few seconds more, but it never does. "Thank you again." His arm slips from around me and he takes a step back.

"Yeah. You know, you should really tell that hairdresser of yours to stop avoiding you so much," I say with a look, and he laughs a hearty laugh that I always find pleasant to hear.

"Right, I'll have to do that."

"Mm-hm," I say with a smirk.

"Maybe you'll have to stop wanting to cut my hair as well," he says, peering down at me. I give him a look.

"Are you implying that I have a hand in your not getting your hair cut elsewhere?"

He shrugs.

"If you weren't so great at it, maybe I wouldn't come back."

"If she's so great at it, you would not be here," I retort, and his eyebrows lift.

"Are you questioning her abilities?"

"I'm questioning more than just that," I say, and he grins.

"It's almost like you're implying there is no hairdresser."

"And that you don't go get your hair cut elsewhere," I say accusingly, and he leans back on the vanity, tilting his head to the side as he looks at me. I cross my arms, looking back at him. His arms stretch out to the side as he hangs on loosely to the countertop.

"...alright, so it's been a while since I've gone—"

"I knew it," I say triumphantly, and he rolls his eyes.

"Hold your horses. Yes, it's been a while since I've gone. But I did in fact have a place that I went to, and there was a hairdresser who used to cut my hair, but I dunno, I stopped going a while ago," he says, glancing away. My eyebrow lifts and I step closer, into his line of sight with a grin.

"And why was that?" I prod. He rolls his eyes again but there's amusement in his expression.

"And this is why I didn't say anything," he mutters.

"C'mon now, you can admit it."

"And let you yuk it up all the time?"

"Yes."

"Yeah, no," he says, standing straight and moving to the door, but I block his path. His eyebrows raise at that.

"You're kidding me, woman."

"I'm not kidding you, man. Say it," I say with a grin.

"You want a compliment that bad?" he asks.

"Yes," I say. Not just that though; it's fun to tease him.

"You've got no shame, Gracie," he chuckles. But he finally sighs, looking down at me. "Fine, I think you do a better job than my seventy-year-old hairdresser," he says, and suddenly the compliment isn't so amazing. I frown.

"Seventy?"

"That's right. You know Ms. Reynolds from church? She hasn't retired just yet," he says, eyes dancing in amusement. He laughs at my expression, and I hit his chest, causing him to only laugh harder. "Does that make you feel good?" he asks through his laughter.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever Joe," I huff, stepping aside to let him pass. His laughter finally dies down and he looks at me as I get ready for Austin's haircut, cleaning the scissors and clippers.

"Now don't go being so down Gracie. If it makes it any better, your accuracy is better than hers." My mouth twitches up at that, but I only shake my head. "Alright...aside from that, I also enjoy your company. I mean you're no Ms. Reynolds, but—"

"Out," I say before he bursts into laughter again. This time he leaves, leaving me smiling. "So silly," I mutter.