9

A buzz from Courtney's phone interrupted her from vacuuming the living room for a moment, her hands fished her phone out of the back pockets of her shorts. She slipped a strand of hair behind her ear then slide through her phone to unlock her password. 

Are you at home rn?
Kari

Yeah. Cleaning. Why?
Courtney

Okay. I'll be there at 5, I'm already driving. 
Kari

Her eyebrows met for a second before brushing off the swift conversation, she didn't worry too much - It was Kari for goodness sake. Everything's fine. She continued to turn on the vacuum and clean. It was more than five minutes when Kari knocked on the door and Courtney would be lying if she didn't say she got a bit of anxiety in her system because of the sudden text from her sister. It was a sudden text per say, not usually the good kind. 

Stomach churning from nervousness, she opened the door when she heard the knock, welcoming her sister's face. "Hey" she greeted which received a Hey back from the writer as she stepped in. "Dude, I'm hungry" Kari said aloud, strolling through her sister's kitchen to make herself a sandwich. "Wait, you scared me back there. Is there an emergency?" Pale green eyes from the younger Miller watched the older one, scramble her way to make an avocado toast. 

Kari was slicing up an avocado when she replied. "I'm sorry for the sudden invite but we're going dress shopping for today" again, Courtney's eyebrows met in confusion "For what?" 

"For the premiere" it was then that Courtney somewhat forgot the preparations for that. They didn't go for just casual, it was always paired with glamour. It wasn't that she was dreading the preparation part or the make-up part; she got a job as a make-up artist before she went to working at a pharmacy. It was the socializing part, it was taxing. Kari noticed the emotions creeping on her sister's eyes from an 'oh, shit" to an "Oh, shit" . She didn't want that. 

" I forgot about that part, honestly" Kari shrugged. "Don't worry about it" And they decided to jest the idea of the nearby mall to try and dress shop or somehow buy some accessories. 

Walking to hundreds of people was never easy, it was a little bit crowded. Of course, it would be, It was a weekend. People passed by her either having their own little world, as should or looking on their phone, not knowing they were gonna hit someone. "How's work" the writer's words flew her back to reality, she shrugged. "It's still the same" she recalled the epic fail meeting with her boss and actually meeting Shayne on the restaurant but she decided to not talk about it with her sister. They were walking to the clothing shop to see what they could work with, eyes gauging on different wardrobes hanging . "How's mom? You talked to her yet?" Kari made no response. "So I take that as a No" Again, no response. 

They never fought with their parents, not outwardly but more silent, cold. It wasn't even close to a fight, Kari just needed to accept the facts, the reality and even if it sadden her, at least it would bring some happiness to it's future owner as cliché as that sounds. 

They stood inside the clothing store, the older Miller knew exactly what she wanted but Courtney didn't know where to start, though her head started to form an outfit. "So, what do you have in mind?" the pharmacist questioned, Kari looked around for a second. "Let's go look around for a moment" they walked through the stalls of clothes and she got a vague idea as she looked around. A saleswoman approached her, a tall brown-haired woman wearing her store's uniform, Courtney glanced around to find Kari but she didn't find the writer beside her. 

"Hi, I'm Luisa. What can I do for you, honey?" she went slump for a moment but easily regained her stance at the state of panic. "Uhhm, I'm Courtney, I'm looking for an outfit for a...premiere, I guess?" the saleswoman nodded, understanding what she meant. "Is this a movie premiere?, book premiere? What are we working on?" the sass in her voice slowly arise as her hand touched her arm to spun her around. Courtney begun to feel conscious, head down and slightly annoyed at the lack of boundary. "It's for a movie premiere" She could feel the eyes of the woman on her figure. "You really have a cute ass, we could work on that" heat creeped her cheeks but the brunette's words were appreciated. She kept that compliment on mind.