4. one first for the last time

naenia ricci-d'angelo was born with both male and female parts. he had a cute face and high pitced voice, with big eyes and a fragile body. over the years, he started saying that he didn't like being seen as a girl because of his face or voice, so his parents got him to some doctors and he was now looking more or less like a normal boy. the only thing he couldnt change for the better was his name, which was a girl's name. or... at least that's what he's been told.

now, he was 12 and just moved to Venice.
he was nervous, he had to go to a new school, with new classmates... a new town, a new life. he liked that now people would finally see him as a boy, but didn't like that he had to start all over again.

"come on, naenia, you'll make lots of friends! come on, let's see the surroundings! let's meet our new neighbors! what do you say?" his mom told naenia, taking his hand into hers.

"mn..."

"fine then!"

they lived in a house, and next to theirs was another one, of course. they went there to meet the new neighbors.

"hello, were neighbors-"

"ohhh you're the ones who just moved in? come in, come in! I also have a son but he's out now, don't worry he'll be back soon! he likes to sing with his friends. he knows how to play guitar."

naenia's mom entered, with him following the two.

"I'm Victoria, and you, little boy?"

"naenia..." he said, ashamed.

"well, well! what a beautiful name for a young boy! if my son hears of you he'll want you in his 'band' he created with some friends!" the woman named Victoria said, smiling and taking a seat on the couch next to naenia and his mom.

"but your son isn't a girl, he's singing?"

"who said boys can't sing? let him be, as long as he's happy that's good!"

"shouldn't he play some sports?"

"he does, like anyone else."

naenia's mom clicked her tongue lightly, but didn't say anything more on this subject.

"naenia is fragile, and he can't really do so many sports."

that moment, footsteps could be heard approaching them from behind.

it was a boy, he seemed a bit older than naenia.

"hey, mum, I'm back. uh, hello..."

he looked at naenia and his mom.

"come here! they're the new neighbors!"

"uh... hello, im... albedo, or luca, however you want to call me..."

he looked at naenia. the boy wasn't even saying anything and seemed way younger than luca in his eyes.

"nice to meet you." naenia's mom said some things, but naenia didn't care and didn't even listen to her.
soon, a voice woke him up from his daydreaming.

"hey, boy, wanna come with me?" it was luca.

"um... sure..."

luca took his hand, now walking to his room together with naenia. he closed the door and sat on the bed.

"c'm'ere.  sit down. what's your name? how old are you?"

"I'm... naenia ricci-d'angelo... I'm... 12."

"12? oh, I see. well, im older than you, naenia. I'm 14."

"oh, I see..."

he had his guitar in his other hand, still not letting it go. naenia looked at it, it was so beautiful.