12: 5 tips on how not to handle Village bad boys!

Start from the beginning

"What should I do?" asked Thiruselvam.

"Add 1 kg weight and pull it. I will measure the time."

I wasn't clear with my instruction and he did. Instead of pulling it downwards as it should be, he pulled it like a catapult and set the weight flying directly to Thirupati's head. Thirupati howled, clutching his head.

I shrieked and ran near him, "Oh my god! Let me see."

When he pulled his hand down there was a reddish mark on his forehead.

Tip 3: Don't start a Cult war

Thiruselvam laughed, clutching his stomach.

"It's not funny," roared Thirupati.

Suddenly there was movement around me. I was standing in the middle of two groups, who gave murderous glances at each other.

"You did that to make yourself look good," thundered Thirupati.

"She sided with us, it was her idea," roared Thiruselvam.

"I spoke to her first, she is our game."

"But she has chosen our side."

I didn't listen to the rest of the argument as P.Saranya pulled me out of the class, just as the bell rang. Apparently, I was mistaken in thinking that there was just one gang and now they were fighting over me. Shame! There was not even a single guy who got my eyes. It would have been an epic romance story. Who am I kidding, maybe just a normal romance story with decent readers.

Tip 4: Don't keep eyeing the nerd

The rest of the day was uneventful, Mohan Sir cornered me during the break to inform me, we had volleyball practice that evening. I sighed heavily, I was already giving a heavy odour, how much I would stink when I got home is anyone's guess.

I went to the volleyball field after school. To my surprise, Senthil was standing in line with some juniors and "button" boys, the name I gave my school's bad boys. Why I was surprised I don't know, maybe I expected Senthil to just read all day. I never saw him speak to anyone, he was always busy working or studying.

I played middle blocker. We were split into two teams, each team had 3 good players and 3 'undecided's. No, I was not picked as a good player. Senthil was in my opposite team and yes he was picked as a good player.

Don't sigh "is there anything he wasn't good at!" He is socially awkward if you ask me. Any decent guy will so much as look at me for all the looks I was giving him.

We stood in a line facing the opponent team. Senthil's hands clenched, the reason for it came clear in a few seconds. Thirumala, who I thought was a silent one, leaned closer to me and whispered, "you are eyeing the wrong guy if you want to have real fun come to me."

Before I could retort, Mohan Sir gave a blast in his whistle signaling us to our position. To my disgust, Thirumala was the setter in our team, which placed him right behind me.

The match started and it was quite interesting. Undecided clearly didn't mean bad, it's just that these guys needed some practice.

Tip 5: (The only useful tip) Break the jerks nose

I felt someone bump into me, it was Thirumala. He wasn't just a jerk but a pervert too. I controlled my anger, maybe I am just being biased because of his comment earlier. The game continued and no one noticed him.

"Anu" called Thirumala as he soft touched the ball to me, I jumped and hit the ball, placing it perfectly and yes we scored. And he scored too in my moments of distraction. When I jumped he moved forward in my way, which made me stumble. He caught me by my hip before I could fall saying, "Careful there." And as before, he moved back before I could respond in kind.

No one noticed, except Senthil. He was almost ready to come to our side, his hands were clenched and he was shaking with anger. Our eyes met, I shook my head. He got my message and stayed on his side.

The game resumed, I was ready for Thirumala if he pulled any more similar stunts. You picked the wrong girl, boy. I was raised by Devika Aunty, who not only gave lectures about chastity but also tools and training to maintain it.

When I jumped to block the ball, Thirumala used similar tactics. I stumbled and at the right level, I brought my elbows back smashing his nose. I felt a satisfying crunch as his nose broke.

"Oh my god! Did I break your nose?" I couldn't keep the smirk off my face.

Too much blood spurted from his nose, I must have hit harder than expected. Well! you can't really hit in defence training, you just mimic the action. When I looked up Senthil was looking at me and only me, I smiled at him and he smiled back.

I know I was blushing, my cheeks were so warm I could feel the heat radiating from them, making me wish I had 5 tips to bang a nerd.