June: Thirty Four Part One

Start from the beginning

   In an effort not to lose my balance I grasp onto his biceps as I give him full control. He takes note and leans further into me until my back is completely flat on the hood of the car. It isn't until he pulls my leg around his hip that I realize this will be much more than just a hot and heavy make out session.

   'This will be a very juicy story for our next girls night,' I think to myself as Chris's hand finds the button to my shorts.

~~~~~
Chris POV

"Happy birthday, baby," I hear whispered against my ear, slowly pulling me from a deep sleep. My body is telling me I need more sleep as it feels like I just laid down. It takes another moment for me to realize my bride is kissing along my unclothed upper back as she hums the birthday song.

I lift my head ever so slightly while cocking one eye open. The clock reads 12:01 am. "Babe... it's the middle of the night. I just laid down at 11:15," I tell her with a groan.

"But it's your birthday," Daphne whines back at me.

"And it'll still be my birthday in seven hours too," I say returning to my position and grasp my pillow tighter.

  The tender kisses stop and I feel a shift in the bed. Unfortunately I'm too tired to put a whole lot of care into it and drift back to sleep.

  Several snores and hours later I'm woken up again by a wet, cold nose nudging my arm. I reach over to the other side of the bed, reaching for Daphne, but come up empty. "Daph?" I call out. "Can you let Dodge out?" My eyes are still heavy and are closing all on their own accord. Another moment later and I'm nudged again by the whining dog. "Daphne!" No answer. Rolling completely on to my back I rub the heaviness out of my eyes. "Where's mama, Dodge?"

Groggily I walk to the back door and slide it open to let Dodger out. A quick glance at the back porch shows no Daphne. A walk through the kitchen proves to be empty, as well as the front porch. "Babe?" I call out once again. I retrace my steps looking for a possible note she may have left. Again I come up empty. I check the garage and see that her car is gone. Sprinting back to our bedroom I grab my cell phone, relieved to see that I have a message. I unlock it only to see it's a message from Scott wishing me a happy birthday and telling me he's picking me up at 2. I shoot back a simple 'okay' before I realize it's already 10:30 am.

I fall back onto the bed as I call Daphne. It rings five times before her voicemail starts. I hadn't realized she's changed her message to include 'Daphne Evans,' it brings a smile to my lips. "Hey baby, it's me. I just wanted to check on you. Normally you leave a note but I've not found one yet. Let me know you're alright, please. Love you." I press end and toss the phone towards the pillows. It's then that I see the small chocolate cupcake sitting on the bedside table on Daphne's side. It holds a single candle. With a closer look I see the candle had been lit at one point, but not long enough to melt much of the wax. I roll over to that side of the bed and pick up the cupcake, realizing that it's sat there long enough to turn stale and hard.

I think back to the moment in the night when she woke me up. I remember I was exhausted. But I didn't give her the time of day and yet all she wanted was to give me this small cupcake. "Idiot," I call myself just as my cell dings again. I sit up and grab it.

Daphne- I'm fine. I'll see you later.

Chris- Scott is suppose to be here at 2 but I can cancel.

Daphne- No. You should spend time with him. I'll see you later.

Chris- Daphne.

Daphne- I love you. I'll see you later.