𝑇𝑊𝐸𝐿𝑉𝐸

Present:

I load all of my shit into the car and hurry up, getting in, and slamming the door.

Oh god.

My foot hits the gas, and I drive on the empty road.

What did I do?

I should feel fucking fantastic right now, right? I should be smiling and going out to eat, to celebrate my victory.

Oh my god, what did I do?

My left-hand holds the steering wheel, while I nibble on my fingernails and feel the blood seep out.

I glance back and forth between the front of me and the cottage I'm letting him rot in.

Just breathe Davina.

But I can't fucking breathe. I feel like walls are collapsing down on me, and the only way to get oxygen is turning around.

Why was this so hard?

Where were my non-existent emotions, when I did this? Why did I have to feel something?

But Matteo's sitting there, losing blood by the second and I blink away the tears.

No Davina, just stop.

But I don't listen.

I slam on the brakes and take a sharp turn, heading straight for him.

Once I reach inside the house I pull open the steel door and see him with his head hung low, with blood circling him like a puddle.

"Matteo", I whisper and move to unlock the metal connecting him from the chair. "I need you to work with me."

"Davina", he mumbles and flutters his eyes open.

"Yeah it's me", I say and lift him off the chair, bring his arm around my shoulder.

I carry all of his weight and try my best to walk to the car as fast enough.

I pull open the door and settle him in the passenger seat.

"Hold on I'll be right back", I say and dart inside the house for an emergency kit.

Fumbling back out I reach in for some gauze and hold that against his wound, making sure there's enough pressure down on it, before putting some tape to keep it secure.

I throw the continent's back in the car and make my way into the driver's seat, stepping on the gas.

"Just stay with me ok?" I say and glance at him every second.

His eyes open again and I hear his breathing turn uneven.

Then he glances over at me and I turn away so he can't see the tears escaping.

"Davina you should've let me go", he whispers and I cry harder out the window.

I gasp for air, trying to calm down, but nothing works.

"I love you", I gasp and feel the tears hit my lip.

I couldn't do it, no matter how badly I wanted to.

"I know", he smiles sadly and tries to move, so he can't touch my cheek to wipe away the tears.

"No don't move, you'll make the bleeding worse", I say and look over to make sure the gauze is still in place.

"I'm gonna die", he whispers and smiles at me. "And I need you to know something."

"No", I shake my head. "You're gonna tell me later because you are not going to die Matteo Creed, you understand me?"