chapter twenty

Victors pov

I recognized the new arrival, it was Mayhew. I ran up to him and saw that he'd died. I apologized then asked him how everyone was "well, they're still wondering where you slipped off to, oh and Miss Victoria, she's getting married to some newcomer. Lord somebody-or-other" i looked at him for a moment

"Newcomer? Lord? Is it lord Barkis?" I asked knowing he was the last newcomer before i left. "Uh, yeah, something like that" Mayhew said as he scratched his face. I looked over at (y/n) who was no longer there. "Where's he gone?" I asked myself.

Your pov

The moment i heard his name, that he was to be wed to that girl, i ran to Elder Gutknecht, not saying a word to Victor when i left. I ran up the stairs of the tower and saw him standing on his books, reading one of them. He turned to me and asked what it was that i needed "i need to go to the land of the living." He started to speak of the haunting spell but i stopped him.

"The resurrection one. I need to go there alive" i knew what I'd cost but i was willing to take that risk, rather than have him marry and kill another innocent victim, then just move onto the next, with a haunting spell, i can't touch the living, im too far dead, victor wasn't so he was able to touch Victoria.

"You know the sacrifice you would have to make" he stated and i nodded. He then walked to the book he needed and opened it. He read through it some and walked over to me "when you are ready, you need to speak the name of something you once loved more than anything, you only have half an hour to speak the name, if you dont, you will be sent back here and may never walk the land of the living again, even as a corpse, the name you say, that person will never walk the land of the living"

I took a deep breath and stopped for a moment, "if i don't say Victors name, I'll come back and he can stay up there, but I'll still be able to stop Barkis?" I questioned "yes. Do you wish to continue?" I nodded my head.

I'd rather stay down here forever than be up there while Victor is down here for eternity, even if one day I'd pass away and come back.

He brought out an egg like the one for the haunting spell but this one was so much smaller. He held it high "thirty minutes" he said before throwing the egg down and the floor.

A small fire came from the egg, it caught onto my suit and grew as it spread onto my body until i was completely covered with it. Soon, i could start to feel my body become warmer from the heat and within seconds, my surroundings began to change.