if loving you is an island

It was a mystery why your family treated you this way

It was a mystery why your family treated you this way. You were already dying, why must they make it so hard for you? Each and every day Lee Haechan spent with you he was overthrown by how kind you were.

You cried often about your family and about how little they made you feel.

But he noticed the longing in your eyes as you would speak about your memories with your family. That one memory of when he had given you a hug because he was drunk. He had told you that he knew that he wasn't a very good father and the memory had etched itself into your soul.

It was the way you were. You saw too much of the good in people even if time took that away from them. Haechan wondered how you continued to trust in the wonders of the world despite being out down so many times.

His first kiss with you was under the moonlight when he had climbed through the window to see you waiting for him with eager eyes and a warm hug. You had engulfed him in your arms and in the darkness, your lips had found his.

It was a soft peck but it was enough for Haechan to know that he was dipping down in dangerous waters because of the swooping sensation that made him feel like he was floating. It was not passionate, not fiery but soft and sweet.

He was incredibly gentle with you, Haechan hoisting you up with his arms and bringing you to the bed.

You have left him breathless.

Mark seemed to know something was up with Haechan. On days he would head back to the apartment, Mark would be waiting for him. Mark thought Haechan was still mourning—but was he? He looked more worried than sad.

Like he was dreading for what was to come and not heartbroken over something that had already happened.

"You need to tell me what's going on," Mark said from the doorway with Haechan tugging on a new set of clothes and shoving an extra T-shirt into his backpack. "I'm worried."

Take it up to Mark to be honest.

"You don't have to be."

"You know that's not happening."

Haechan did not feel annoyed by the questions. They were bound to happen, Mark being his best friend.

"Do you trust me?" Haechan asked, turning over his shoulder and giving Mark a smile. Mark blinked, his eyes skating over Haechan's features. The dark shadows, his chapped lips, the signs of someone who was lacking sleep.

"Are you drinking again?" Mark asked carefully, Haechan chuckling lowly before shaking his head. "You don't even smoke weed anymore."

"Shouldn't that be a good thing?"

"Not if you're into other strong shit," Mark answered.

"I'm in love," Haechan answered, turning back to tug on pants. There was a sound and he whipped his head around to see that Mark had accidentally slammed against the doorway and was now heading over to Haechan.