loving you may be an island

You were not like how he remembered you

You were not like how he remembered you. One, because you were in your hospital gown. Two, because you seemed like the wind would be able to blow you away. And three, because underneath that smile, you looked defeated.

Haechan did not ask you what had happened, instead you told him that you wanted a can of green tea and Haechan told him that he got you. With a playful smile, he had bought you a drink and asked you where you were headed. You looked down at your hospital gown and twirled in it, the way you moved reminding him of how you looked back when you were twirling in the church robes he had lent you.

"I have ten minutes in the courtyard until I have to go back," you told him and he raised an eyebrow. You were hopeful that he would join you. There were not many people who you talked to on a daily basis. Most of the time, it would be that cute nurse that manned the VIP ward.

Xiaojun would allow you to sneak out of the room because he knew how suffocated you felt within the confines of those four walls. Haechan took in how you still had a head full of hair, how your eyes twinkled at his presence and how you were going around dragging a metal pole that he did not know was for.

"Shall we then, my lady?" Haechan asked, offering you his arm. You broke into a smile, both of you stepping out into the courtyard. King's Hospital was an elite hospital for those who could afford it—top-notch treatments, impeccable service, and beautiful infrastructure.

The courtyard stretched far and wide for those who needed the comfort of nature. Both of you headed out of the entrance, Haechan making a note to not walk too fast. You gripped his arm tightly, your feet wobbling. You waited for Haechan to ask the right question but he didn't.

Not yet.

"Are you okay?" you asked him suddenly, Haechan giving out a hum. "I ask because it is a hospital we are at."

"And you?" he asked back so subtly, you forgot that you were the one who started the conversation. He cracked a smile. "You don't have to answer that question."

"Of course, I don't," you murmur, Haechan bringing you further down the courtyard. You usually stopped here and did not go beyond Building B. Beyond that was too far but you did not want the walk to end—not yet. "How are you?"

Asking him that question was dangerous because the social cue that would come after was to go "And you?" and you didn't know if you were ready to give him the answers he wanted to hear.

"I'm good. I—" Haechan definitely wasn't going to tell you he hired a PI to find you. "My father is checked in here. Has been for many many years and I just found him."

"Your father?"

It made you realize that you had no idea who his father was.

"The pastor of the church you used to go to," Haechan said to you and your eyes widened.