Chapter 17

I looked at Daryl expectantly. He locked eyes with Tara. Both of them knew something I didn't, and from Daryl's tone I could tell I wasn't going to like. Whatever it was, it seemed important. Really important. Daryl looked as though he was thinking over his words before he spoke.

"Our inside man is Dwight."

I stiffened at his words. Dwight. The same Dwight who tortured Daryl. Who tortured me. Who killed Denise. And yet he looked as though he was enjoying it. Why would Rick trust him? Why would anyone trust him after everything he's done? Yet all the information he gave us panned out. Besides the guns location. Did he plan that? Did he have the guns moved, in hopes of killing us?

"Why the hell would Rick trust him?" I stood up, even with my leg's protests.

"He didn't. I made the call." Daryl's words caught me off guard.

"Then you're delusional." I snapped.

What the fuck? Seriously, Dwight. Out of everyone I would've thought it was one of the wives. But no, Dwight. I would've preferred Simon over him.

"Daryl was right. He had the chance to kill him but he didn't. We wouldn't have gotten this far without him." Tara spoke.

I looked at her in disbelief. Out of everyone, I thought she'd be pissed. Dwight took Denise from her. Yet she brushed off our alliance with Dwight like it was nothing.

"I'm still gonna kill him, after all this. I'm gonna kill him for Denise." Tara locked eyes with me.

She wasn't okay with it, but she felt as though it was our only shot. Our only chance. She wanted to kill him herself, much like I wanted to kill Negan myself. I hoped it worked out better for her.

"Maybe it could be you, me, and (Y/n). And maybe we don't got to wait so long."

Daryl had a plan. He wanted to take down the Saviors, but didn't wanna wait. He was right. The sooner we got this done the better. I still couldn't stand on my leg very well. I'd weigh them down and yet he still wanted my help. Rick would be suspicious. They got into a fight about this. They needed cover.

"I'll cover for you guys."

Daryl and Tara nodded before heading out the door. I limped over to where Carl and Judith were. Rick left Michonne and Carl in charge, but Michonne had left a few hours ago. Carl looked up from the papers he was writing on. I made my way up the steps to his porch as I spoke.

"Tara and Daryl are going hunting." I lied and he nodded.

I sat next to Judith. She reached out to me. I pulled her onto my lap and she played with my fingers. She made a few baby noises causing a smile to play on my lips. Babies were always something I had a soft spot for. I always thought about having my own someday. Now it seems impossible in today's world. It became a distant dream at this point.

"You good?"

Carl turned to face me and gestured to my bandages. Something seemed off with him. Like he had a lot on his mind. He was still just a kid and he had all these responsibilities. The world had forced him to grow up quickly. I went through that. I learned how harsh the world could be at a young age, much like him. I smiled softly.

"Yeah, just a few scratches."

We sat in silence for a while, besides the occasional babble from Judith. After a few hours, Daryl and Michonne approached us. I quickly scanned Daryl's eyes. He was successful. Good. Negan was most likely dead now and so were the other Saviors. Whoever was still alive would surrender soon. I nodded as they got closer.

"It's time to meet up with the others and have the Saviors surrender." Michonne spoke.

I handed Judith over to her and walked with Daryl to our house to grab our things. Daryl was quiet as usual, but he seemed off. Almost as if he wanted to say something.