Chapter 10

Negan laughed as he placed the bat back to the side of my face. I hadn't called him dad since I was really young. He knew he had won. I kept my face stone cold. He couldn't see how much he affected me. It would only make him worse. Negan lowered his bat.

"I'll come back to you, Puppet."

Negan walked by everyone else. I kept my head down, afraid of people's stares. As Negan paused Rick, Rick spoke.

"I'm gonna kill you." Rick's voice was so soft I could barely hear it.

"What?" Negan bent down to look Rick in his eyes. "I didn't quite catch that. You're gonna have to speak up."

"Not today, not tomorrow, but I'm gonna kill you."

"Jesus. Simon, What did he have, a knife?" Negan looked up at the man who introduced him.

"He had a hatchet." Simon answered him.

"A hatchet?" A smile played on Negan's lips.

"He had an ax."

"Simon's my right-hand man. Having one of those is important. I mean, what do you have left without them? A whole lot of work. Do you have one? Maybe one of these fine people still breathing? Or did I..." Negan gestured with his bat. "Give me his ax."

Simon walked over and handed Negan Rick's ax. He looked at it for a few seconds before standing to his full height. Negan placed the ax in his belt and pulled Rick up.

"We'll be right back. Maybe Rick will be with me." Negan's voice was darker than before, as he pulled Rick to the RV. "And if not, well, we can just turn these people inside out, won't we? I mean, the ones that are left."

Negan paused and turned back to me.

"You have till I get back to say your goodbyes, Puppet." He looked up at Simon. "Anyone tries anything, kill the Asian."

Negan pulled Rick into the RV. Leaving us in silence. RV sat silent for a few minutes, before it started and pulled out. I looked up at the sky as the sun started to peek over the horizon. I had until he got back to say my goodbyes. Was he going to kill me? Was I never going to see my family again?

This was it for me, wasn't it? I needed to give them closure. If I went with him, they would fight him and they would die. They would try everything to get me back. I was grateful to finally have a family that would do so for me. But they didn't understand the type of man he was. There was no stopping him. Not now. This was like a wonderland to him. No rules. No laws. Free rain. He could do whatever he wanted and there were no repercussions.

I looked up at everyone. A few met my eyes as others were focused on stifling their cries. Daryl kept his head down. Never looking up. I rose to my feet slowly and looked over at Simon. He nodded slightly knowing I was asking if it was okay to move and talk. I knelt down to Eugene first. His body was shaking as he held his hands over his eyes. Abraham and him had finally fixed things between each other. They had been together since the start, Eugene probably saw him as a brother. I placed a hand on his shoulder slightly. He uncovered his eyes and looked at me. Eugene had grown the most out of all of us. He was a coward, but now he was getting stronger. More confident.

"Stay strong, all right?" I softly smiled as I kept my voice low so no Saviors could hear what I said. "You aren't a coward and this in no way was your fault. Got it?"

He nodded slightly as I reached out my hand to shake his. He ignored it and pulled me into a hug. While we were hugging he spoke fast and low, making sure only I could hear.

"Molotov cocktails can get you out of a pickle easily."

I pulled away and nodded, understanding what he was trying to say. A few months ago he had taught me how to make them. I mouthed a 'thank you' as I stood to move to the next person. Carl. I knelt down in front of him. His face was solid. He was trying to hide whatever emotion he had. One look into his eyes and I could see how terrified he was. I wanted to tell him it was going to be okay but I couldn't bring myself to lie to him. I've basically seen the kid grow up, he's been like a little brother. He was the first to speak and his words broke me.