Episode 19: Man of the House

~Junk-N-Stuff~

Gooch was excited about another piece of junk he'd bought for the store, and as usual, he couldn't wait to show it off to those living downstairs.

"Ray, (y/n). Hurry up!" He called to the slowpokes who were only just coming out of the elevator. The two friends speedily walked to the shop floor, ready to look at whatever he was so eager to show them.

"Yeah, yeah, we're coming." (y/n) yelled back, not being a person of great speed.

"Yeah, what's up, Gooch?" Ray asked, his helper following closely behind him. Gooch was looking happily at some dusty, old chair and the young woman had a gut feeling that it was what he had dragged them all the way upstairs for.

"Look at this antique chair I got." He smiled proudly at his purchase, but Ray and (y/n) weren't so enthralled.

"Okay." Ray studied the chair and didn't understand the hype surrounding the piece of old garbage.

"We're looking at it, now what?" (y/n) looked at Gooch with the same expression.

"It's one of the very first vibrating massage chairs ever made." The Indian man explained to them, but they were still confused. It was a piece of crap, why was he so excited?

"Okay." The larger male said again, not seeing where Gooch was going with this.

"Will you help me fix it up so I can relax my back?" The storekeeper asked the two, mainly (y/n) since she was handy with mechanics and could focus on a job, unlike Ray who was too impatient for a restoration task.

"No!" Predictably, Ray refused, but his helper was much more obliging.

"Yeah, sure. I'll take a look at it tonight." She smiled at Gooch, making the man's cheeks go rosy in jubilation. Their friendly moment was interrupted as Henry walked into Junk-N-Stuff, clearly stressed about something.

"Hey, guys." He said, briskly walking into the store.

"Hello, Henry." Gooch welcomed him warmly, having not expected to see him that day.

"Whoa, I didn't think you were working today," Ray said, slowing the boy down and getting him to explain why he was in a rush.

"Yeah, you look terrible, are you all right?" (y/n) expressed her concern, mentally noting how he had some shallow creases on his forehead and tired eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I know I'm not working today, but I got to go downstairs and check the crime computer. There's been a purse-snatching." He told the adults, piquing their interest.

"Oh, no biggie, just file a police report." The woman brushed off the petty crime, knowing that there had always been and always would be purse-snatching losers in Swellview.

"Who got her purse snatched?" Gooch asked, looking up from his beloved chair.

"My mom," Henry replied, making Ray's eyes light up at the mention of the pretty woman. (y/n) stiffened as she saw him visibly perk up, remembering how the last time they saw her, all he could do was flirt, flirt, flirt with Mrs Hart.

"Your mom? Wait, what happened? Is she okay? Was she hurt? What happened? Is she okay?" Ray asked, suddenly being more than interested in the crime. He put his hands on Henry's shoulders, gradually getting more and more panicked. As if in equilibrium with her best friend, the more stressed he got, the more (y/n)'s heart deflated.

"Why are you interested in his mom?" Gooch asked, feeling sorry for the poor girl in front of him as he watched her eye fill with tears.

"Have you seen his mom?" Ray replied in a high-pitched tone, not seeing how (y/n) started to drift away from him.