Dog Day Afternoon

Start from the beginning

A couple days later, Mickey is sitting at her father's desk. Her phone is in her hand as she reads over a text from Jughead about some assignment he has to do—an ending for a murder mystery. She sighs, knowing not to try to call him because he's busy. It kind of brings her mood down because they've been playing phone tag since she dropped him off at Stonewall Prep with FP and Jellybean.

"Mickey, did you hear that?"

Mickey puts her phone down and gives Betty and Veronica her undivided attention. "Can you repeat that, Betty."

"I need two-hundred-and-fifty thousand dollars," Betty says again. The only option she had was to go to the Lodge sisters. Not only are they her friends, but they're the only people she can think of to have that kind of money to save her mother and the countless other people at the farm. "Lives are at stake, guys."

Her eyes widen at the request. "A quarter of a million dollars? Betty, what's this for?"

"I can't say anything other than it being a matter of life and death."

"I don't think we can get that much," Mickey tells her honestly. "It's a lot." She can't help but to think everyone is in need of money. First, Archie and now Betty.

"I know it's insane," Betty lowers her head.

Veronica's eyes light up when they land on something on the shelves. "It doesn't need to be cash, does it?" She points to gifts their dad gave their mom, "Those Glamourge eggs, they're worth fifty-thousand dollars each. That should do it."

The corners of Betty's eyes crinkle as she smiles widely. "Oh, my God, Vee. Really? Aren't those your Dad's?"

"Our mom's, actually. Take 'em. But...how are you going to get the other stuff?"

"I know people."

After an afternoon shopping, Mickey and Veronica finally return home. Mickey stops when she hears the soft music playing. "Did you leave that on?"

"No," Veronica whispers. "And I definitely turned off all the lights when we left." Her eyes point to the lights, which are now on.

Mickey places her bags on the floor gently before moving through their apartment slowly. "Smithers?" she calls out for their trusted guardian.

Veronica trails behind Mickey as they follow the source of the music. Once they're inside the office, her heart sinks. "Daddy?" She's sure Mickey is just as horrified as she is. "You're supposed to be in jail."

Hiram smirks condescendingly. "Mija, I own that jail. I come and go as I please. I heard a nasty little rumor that you were dropping the Lodge name," he gets right to the point.

"I've never taken the trash out, Daddy, but I know when something's rotten. That name is mud, and I'm done with it."

"And you, Mickey?"

Mickey's eyes are slits. "What do you want?"

"I guess you're not happy I'm home." He lays the files in his hands down and stands. "Do you know who Jamie Luna was?"