25. Merry And Happy

Tessa

Dusting my hands off the flour on the super fancy apron I grab my phone to call my comfort person. My only reason to keep breathing for the past three years. 

"Merry Christmas Little Brother …" I blurt like a squeal coming out of my throat, immediately as I hear the line connect..

A hearty and half awake chuckle is what I receive first hand. It makes me smile wide as I keep a watch on the bowl in front of me on the counter.

"Well Hello to you too….. And Merry Christmas Tessie….. Or am I supposed to say Happy Christmas, you now that you are in London?" he groans.

"No no please…  for Christ Sake Ray…." I say with an eye roll. Only he can manage to efficiently tease me, even if that's the first thing he has to do in the morning.

My hand quickly scrape the sides of the huge bowl as the batter keeps whipping itself.

Being surrounded by too many beautiful Brits are a blow to my complex already. I don't want my brother to turn into another by wishing me Happy instead of our traditional Merry.

Another hearty laugh is what I get next with some sounds. He is most probably getting out of the bed now, given that he is a late riser on Christmas mornings. "But I am glad you sound Merry and Happy both …. So, you good now, with being kidnapped?" he asks.

I am, like always taken aback by his intuitive question. Words leave me, as I tighten the hold on my cell and swallow the nerves forming a ball in my throat.

I keep the spatula aside, on the tray…

I take a deep breath , a long one. Letting everything in the past days run in front of my eyes.

The forceful travel, truth and truth and truth. So much more truth. Then yesterday ….

Am I? Happy? Being kidnapped?

"Yes… "I whisper, the answer coming easy, much to my confusion and a smile stretches my face … There is no use lying… At least to Ray…" I am better Ray…. "

Much better than the dark three years. Much better than living in haze , much better than thinking Hardin betrayed me, Much better now that he is trying…

Much better now that I have watched him sleep, much better now that I have seen his childlike mirth over kid's food. Much better now that I stayed in his embrace, inhaling him..

I am better… A lot better…

" And you two are on the way to patch up? " his voice comes, with hope lacing it. 

Are we?

" Maybe…" I say to him, after I switch off the stand mixer… Over-beating would make the cake rubbery….

"Good…very good… so now tell me how these Uk Mafia people spends Christmas?"

The horror words widens my eyes. In a quick movement to clamp my mouth in order to stop the gasp, with my hand, which was holding the bowl, I almost, almost drop the batter.

But I don't.

In record time I grab the bowl with one hand and my torso. The sigh of relief comes out naturally at the triumph.

The cake would have been late if I would have to make the batter again.

Once I have safely tucked the bowl back on the counter, further towards inside, I focus on my phone, "My god Ray…Do you know about something called filter? I almost dropped the cake batter…" I scold him…  My heart beating fast, from the near mishap.