Chapter 14.5: Festival and Fireworks

Start from the beginning

Nagatoro: You did it!

???: I never expected that to happen. But here you go!

He grabbed the stuffed animal as I gave it to Nagatoro. Although she wasn't much of a fan for cutesy things, she smiled at me as she put it in her bag. 

...

Walking around, we went to other stands and through good bargains from myself, I procured some sweets and meat as we ate our little snacks while walking around. 

Nagatoro: Senpai, you don't need to buy all this stuff. I was going to buy some. 

She said this while stuffing herself full of sweets. Adorable. 

Me: It's like pocket change anyway. And besides, it's my first festival. 

Nagatoro: Looks like I'm part of all your firsts, huh?

Me: I guess so. 

Walking around the corner of a concession stand, there was a typical, and iconic little machine put up on the side. There was no one nearby, so I walked over there along with Nagatoro. 

Nagatoro: Is that one of those punching machines?

Looking at the meter and the labels, it seems so. 

Me: I haven't seen one in person. Interesting. 

Nagatoro: Hello? Anyone here?

There was no response. 

Me: Looks like they already started to take down some stands. Which means the fireworks should start soon. Let's go.

I was walking away when Nagatoro grabbed my hand. 

Nagatoro: Come on, Senpai! When are you ever gonna see one of these again? A literal punching machine? Like in that anime we watched at my house. 

Me: You mean the one with the monkey king?

Nagatoro: No, you idiot! His name is Goku! Why do I have to keep reminding you?

Me: Because I forget their names. 

Nagatoro sighed. 

Nagatoro: Anyway, why don't we try it out? Let's see how tough you are!

She walked up first as I stayed to the side. The machine was on as Nagatoro cocked back her arm and launched the full force of her punch on the machine. It started to scramble for a number.

Nagatoro: Let's see how high it goes!

The number finally stopped at 89. 

Nagatoro: 89?! 

Me: Isn't that pretty high?

Nagatoro: W-Well I mean, I guess so. But I thought I was gonna get a number in the 100s. This blows.

Me: Well, now that you're pretty disappointed, let's go. 

Nagatoro: No! Senpai has to try too! I want to know if you can beat my score!

I sighed. 

Me: Fine. 

Nagatoro thanked me with a hug and pointed at the machine. 

Nagatoro: Now, go punch it so we can see! And don't hold back, Senpai! I can tell when you're holding back, so don't try it!

Funny. All right, so be it.