All Houses Have Secrets

A couple lit lanterns swing gently in the night breeze.

They illuminate a towering wooden door, proportionate to the giant house it leads into. You can hear it creak every so often... even though no one's touched it yet.

"Cool."

"Creepy."

The two say simultaneously, I'm sure you can guess who said what.

They approach the door slowly, stopping before the front porch.

"We could just camp out here," Dawn suggests while her eyes dart all over.

"No need to worry right?" Ash grabs her hand but she won't move any further.

"This is someone's house, we can't just show up in the middle of the night," She tries to reason.

Ash gestures to the house's features. The overgrown ivy, window frames falling part, general abandonment.

"But the light," Dawn points to the only thing allowing them to see each other.

"Ghosts maybe," Ash shrugs.

"Ghosts don't exist."

"Then there's nothing to be afraid of," Ash smiles and pulls her towards the house.

She holds on tight on the wooden boards bend and creak beneath them.

"Hello?!" Ash yells as he knocks on the door.

Dawn scowls at him but stops when the door opens.

Except no one opened the door.

They're hit with a wave of a dusty smell, like the house hasn't been opened up in years. Which could be true.

"The ghosts have welcomed us," Ash jokes.

"Shut up," Dawn frowns, still not letting go.

They step in and a 'click' goes off.

Then a light turns on.

And another.

And another.

Ash and Dawn's heads try to follow every one but stop themselves before they twist their necks. Instead they take in the mansion.

Lights flicker softly on the walls, bright enough to show the old paintings on the walls and maroon wallpaper. Still dim enough to cast a warm orange glow instead of more modern lighting.

Two giant staircases sit in the middle, leading to unknown above them. The red carpet leads to four rooms connected to the lobby, including the two staircases as well. A fancy yellow pattern separates the carpet and the dark wooden flooring.

Shinx and Piplup jump off of their trainers and in front like the protectors they are. The two Pokemon take the responsibility of leading the group through the lobby.

"What room should we explore first?" Ash asks the Pokemon.

"Explore? No Ash," The girl huffs and lets go of his hand. "We came here to rest and I am perfectly content in this fully lit up room."

...

Darkness.

"This is going to be awesome," Ash exclaims. "Us vs you ghosts!"

Dawn stands there a little freaked out but more confused by the boy's enthusiasm.

Eerie silence overcomes the lobby.

Suddenly another room's lights turn on, drawing Ash in like a moth.

"Let's go!" Ash yells and runs towards the next room with Shinx running after him.